Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Order of refinish, paint and windows

Hi everyone,

We just bought our first house, and it's a classic fixer-upper... our (3) bedrooms currently have carpet, but under it is the original hardwood floor. It's in great condition (since the carpet has taken all the abuse), so we plan on refinishing it to make it look nice. The rooms are in need of paint jobs quite badly, and I am also going to have the windows replaced to double pane.

My question is regarding the ordering of these: currently, I am thinking to:

1. remove carpet and refinish the floors on all 3 rooms first
2. Paint rooms
3. Have windows replaced on whole house

Does this order pose any problems? My concern with painting after doing the floors is wrecking the new floors ,but this can be handled with proper prep. #2 and #3 is what I would like feedback on... any pro's/con's in doing windows after painting?

Thanks!

jdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

I'd do opposite. Windows first, then any necessary wall repairs and paint, then have the floors done and you're done.

I would not want to be moving a ladder around constantly in an area with newly finished floors. Surely the finish would need to cure after drying before it achieves the desired hardness. Also, I wonder how any paint drips, etc. would react with new applied floor varnish?

saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggdevil View Post
I'd do opposite. Windows first, then any necessary wall repairs and paint, then have the floors done and you're done.

I would not want to be moving a ladder around constantly in an area with newly finished floors. Surely the finish would need to cure after drying before it achieves the desired hardness. Also, I wonder how any paint drips, etc. would react with new applied floor varnish?
Figures I'd have it backwards... the reason our ordering is appealing is because refinishing is relatively cheap (compared to windows). This way, we could refinish, take our time painting the rooms at our own pace, and then do windows once we save up. Since we are doing a full contracted kitchen remodel simultaneously, short term cash needs to be considered.

If curing is the issue, would allowing sufficient time in between refinishing and painting help? And are paint drips inevitable if we tarp up the whole floor properly?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd do the windows 1st too
Does the carpet go up against baseboards?
If so then paint 1st, no sense getting paint on the new floors

If carpet goes up against the wall (very rare) then you need to pull the carpet up 1st to paint the wall

That said, we had the floors done before we moved in
Then painted
Then did the windows
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Haste Makes Waste

I thought you were doing it all at once. I'd go into the "flooring" forum to ask how long new floor finish needs to cure before heavy ladder traffic. They will probably advise you to paint first also (and check the ladder feet bottoms to make sure they are clean and smooth; I scratched a floor by having rough feet on the ladder, lol). If windows are down the road, then paint and then do floors. Painting is less expensive than the floors. And since you have to complete clear the room for the floors, I'd take the opportunity to paint first. Good luck.

Btw...one thing I've learned the hard way>>> Start at the top and work down and include everything if at all possible. If not (such as windows or other major things) repairs can always be done later. But it sure is nice to have it all done at once (dreaming.....)

Last edited by saggdevil; 05-31-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggdevil View Post
If windows are down the road, then paint and then do floors. Painting is less expensive than the floors. And since you have to complete clear the room for the floors, I'd take the opportunity to paint first. Good luck.
Not sure if I get this completely... isn't it easier to do floors before moving in since the room is already clear? The only thing I was worried about in painting first, then refinishing is that the sanding process for the floors may somehow damage the walls + new paint. If this is unlikely, then it sounds like painting first is the way to go!
Old 05-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
Haste Makes Waste

Sanding floors does make sanding dust but it will not damage the walls. I assume you have some kind of baseboard which probably will be removed for the floor job then replaced. My sister just had her entire upstairs done (less bath & kitchen) last week. They repainted everything (after removing all baseboards) before the floors. The baseboards will then be cleaned and replaced.

Since you haven't moved in, this is PERFECT timing to do the painting. No furniture to move around. I'm on my 5th room in two months. It takes me a day to empty the room (then other areas are littered with all the stuff) then move the heavy pieces to center and cover. All is good until you can't extend your paint roller (on a pole) all the way down the wall due to lack of space. At that point, I have to remove from pole and do the rest without a pole (I have 10-12ft ceilings).

I think if you go ahead and paint, then do floors, you'll be glad. Then you can move in and not have to worry about those two issues as both require time, patience and energy. You'll be able to enjoy your home inside and can spend your energy on the outside.