DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Options for metal gate paint or process

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ToolSeeker 
#1 ·
I just made a pair of steel gates, 13' long each, for the driveway and don't want to ever have to deal with rust or repaint again.

Without going into detail, there are a lot of pieces laying next to each other but not welded the whole way so ill have bare metal inside but want to seal it up so it won't rust and run down.

I'm going to make them black so it should help hide any rust running down.

Can anyone suggest kinds of paint to use that will last and will seal up the joints?
I thought about bondo-ing the joints but think that the vibrations and movement might crack it.

Or any processes that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? Powder coating would be great but how much? A neighbor suggested galvanizing but I have no idea on the cost of that.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Got a picture?
If it was welded right there would be no leaks.
Powder coating or taking it to an auto body shop and have them paint it are two options.

#3 ·
I'm not sure how to post pics but the I welded parts are the joint where I welded a piece of 6" wide flat stock to the front of the 1.5" square tube frame. So from the front it looks like t is 6" wide.

I stitched it as welding both sides where the flat meets the square tubing would be over a hundred feet of welding total.

#8 ·
what I would recommend Paint Over Rust 15 We used it on wrought iron railings where I used to work. Not the easiest thing to work with thick and anything you get it on it is going to stay on including you. We used it also for the frames on Hot Rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.