Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Opinions on deck stains

I repaired my deck last year and it's now good and seasoned and ready to be stained. I'm going with a solid color.

I wanted to know other's opinions and experiences with different brands of stains, plus suggestions on prepping. I've read a few of them on here, but wanted to try to get a few more. I tried Behr and found it peeled some after a year (I stained an old part of the deck, so it wasn't wet when I applied it).

I should add that it would be nice to buy any brand I wanted, but I am on a limited budget, unfortunately.

spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Opinions on deck stains

I would not use a solid stain on a deck surface unless you absolutely have to do so to cover color variations or something. Solid stains, even those that say they can be used on horizontal walk-on surfaces are going to be higher maintenance and will not wear well.

Sikkens and Cabot are good semi-transparent and semi-solid stains. Rather a purist I like solvent based stains for semi-transparent stains but acrylics for those with more pigment like semi-solids and solids.

Do scan for other posts on this topic using the search engine or just scroll down a ways. This topic comes up at least once or twice per week!

Last edited by user1007; 08-18-2012 at 02:45 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,194

Opinions on deck stains

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif View Post
I repaired my deck last year and it's now good and seasoned and ready to be stained. I'm going with a solid color.

I wanted to know other's opinions and experiences with different brands of stains, plus suggestions on prepping. I've read a few of them on here, but wanted to try to get a few more. I tried Behr and found it peeled some after a year (I stained an old part of the deck, so it wasn't wet when I applied it).

I should add that it would be nice to buy any brand I wanted, but I am on a limited budget, unfortunately.

just say no to Behr
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on deck stains-behr1.jpg  
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #4

Opinions on deck stains

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would not use a solid stain on a deck surface unless you absolutely have to do so to cover color variations or something. Solid stains, even those that say they can be used on horizontal walk-on surfaces are going to be higher maintenance and will not wear well.
Parts of the existing deck that I left intact had a solid stain, so I planned on going with a solid stain all around rather than trying to strip and clean what was already on there. I don't know how old the original deck is, and I was worried that if I stripped and cleaned old deck that it might not take a new stain quite the same as the newer sections, and it would end up looking uneven.

Quote:
Sikkens and Cabot are good semi-transparent and semi-solid stains. Rather a purist I like solvent based stains for semi-transparent stains but acrylics for those with more pigment like semi-solids and solids.
Is there a difference in how solvent based stains last as compared to acrylics?

Quote:
Do scan for other posts on this topic using the search engine or just scroll down a ways. This topic comes up at least once or twice per week!
I did, I was just trying to fish for a few more opinions, specifically on solids! Thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #5

Opinions on deck stains

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
just say no to Behr
It looks like you're getting ready to stain your motorcycle.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Opinions on deck stains

Wolman's Durastain semi or solid
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Paint Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Opinions on deck stains

Rymar xtreme weather
Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Paint Pro

Opinions on deck stains

chrisn: that product on the far left is actually incredible. its like the poor mans impervex
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Opinions on deck stains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Paint View Post
chrisn: that product on the far left is actually incredible. its like the poor mans impervex

not when it took 4 coats over grey primer and still looked bad
Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Paint Pro

Opinions on deck stains

i mean, you have a dark blue in a value line from sherwin-williams. . . tough to hide in anything except the top of the lines like aura or emerald or whatever. i use solo all the time when proclassic isnt in the budget. . .it is super durable
Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Opinions on deck stains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Paint View Post
i mean, you have a dark blue in a value line from sherwin-williams. . . tough to hide in anything except the top of the lines like aura or emerald or whatever. i use solo all the time when proclassic isnt in the budget. . .it is super durable
now,I misunderstood you, the SW worked fine.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Opinions on deck stains

I guess it depends on the finished product your looking for. If your wanting to protect your wood and make it look a lot better you could do like I did, which was this. My deck is cedar btw.

Got some Olympic deck cleaner (I think its just bleach, anyone who knows please LMK and its ~$7.50/gallon) and sprayed down the whole deck and scrubbed with a deck scrubber that had a hose attachment. This was lots of work but after I did it, about 80% of the original stain was gone and the underlying wood looked great! Then I stained with Olympic maximum ((~$33/gallon). Two coats (two days) later the deck looks great and im certain the wood will be safe for another few years!

You can still see the residual stain that was left behind but its not the gross (reddish) tint like before, its just a bit darker then the stain that was applied to bare wood.
bsmith717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Opinions on deck stains

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith717 View Post
I guess it depends on the finished product your looking for. If your wanting to protect your wood and make it look a lot better you could do like I did, which was this. My deck is cedar btw.

Got some Olympic deck cleaner (I think its just bleach, anyone who knows please LMK and its ~$7.50/gallon) and sprayed down the whole deck and scrubbed with a deck scrubber that had a hose attachment. This was lots of work but after I did it, about 80% of the original stain was gone and the underlying wood looked great! Then I stained with Olympic maximum ((~$33/gallon). Two coats (two days) later the deck looks great and im certain the wood will be safe for another few years!
You can still see the residual stain that was left behind but its not the gross (reddish) tint like before, its just a bit darker then the stain that was applied to bare wood.
Do not bet a lot of $ on it
Old 08-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

Opinions on deck stains

Do not bet a lot of $ on it agree fully!!
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Opinions on deck stains

Would that be a foolish wager just because that's the nature of the beast? Meaning that no deck stain/sealants last longer than a couple of years?

bsmith717 is offline   Reply With Quote