Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #1

Share |

OMG We really screwed up good :(

Our garage doors are more than 25 years old and until recently we did not realize that the panels were paper board or fiber board [the frames of the doors are solid wood.] Since new ones weren't in the budget, I decided to try to clean them up and paint. I used my multi-tool to scrape with a fair amount of success and didn't gouge out the panels too bad once I got the hang of it. Then we got the big idea to power wash them. BAD mistake. Most of the panels are pretty well shredded. My idea is to apply some light weight something over the damaged panels and then paint the whole door. My question is what materials might work? I know, I know, please don't hurt yourselves laughing Or should we completely remove the panels and install something from behind and caulk the edges well.

shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #2

I am assuming you got too close to the door when you power washed. Any way you can take a picture so we can see what kind of damage you did before we recommend anything?

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #3

I don't want anyone to see how stupid we were.

Seriously, the camera batteries are dead right now. The fiber board is shredded on the surface. None of the damage has gone all the way through, thankfully. I thought I'd use a high number grit sandpaper and see if I could smooth it off. Even if that worked, there is a woodgrain pattern embossed on each panel. I'll try to get a picture posted tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #4

Shouldn't one side of the door have trim/molding pieces that hold the panels in place? Seems like you should be able to carefully remove the molding and replace the panels.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #5

That was the first thing I looked for. It appears that the garage door was assembled piece by piece and the panels are glued into slots in the wooden frames. We're going to go look at some thin luan sheets and see if maybe we can cut them to fit and attach them using glue and maybe small screws.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #6

Went to HD last night and purchased 2 sheets of moisture resistant luan. This morning, we made 16 panels that were very simple. Nailed them to the existing fiber board. I'll caulk, prime and paint and hopefull the doors will last at least another year. Thanks to you who responded.