Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Share |

Olympic Rescue it! or Rustoleum Restore??

So here is my dilemma...

I hear that Restore leaves the surface of the deck rough and very hot in 80+ degree weather. It also takes more product to cover your deck...

Has anyone used Rescue it and could comment on the heat issue and how much product they used and how many sq feet?

I have a 1200 sq foot deck and at $89 per ea 100 sq feet it's gonna add up quickly.

Rescue it would be $50 per ea 100 sq feet and provide a smooth finish.

Any thoughts or incite would be great!

Last edited by heythereterry; 06-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.
heythereterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

Just finished applying my first 5 gallon bucket of Rescue-It. You mentioned it has a smooth finish. Well not really. It does have grit mixed in it, so i wouldn't really call it a smooth finish. I used a 3/4" nap roller cover and it did pretty good. Our deck was pretty cracked and many of the knot holes were raised up. This was the first coat. The directions indicate it needs two coats to fill in the cracks. I intend on the second coat this weekend, and will be using a 1.25" nap concrete/stuco cover this time. Should fill in the cracks even better, now I hope. Otherwise, yes I like the product. However, i have noticed that with this coating on the deck, it is noticably hotter with the sun beating on it.

BigLarr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #3

How did it turn out?
How large was your deck and how much product did you need?
Do you have any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLarr56 View Post
Just finished applying my first 5 gallon bucket of Rescue-It. You mentioned it has a smooth finish. Well not really. It does have grit mixed in it, so i wouldn't really call it a smooth finish. I used a 3/4" nap roller cover and it did pretty good. Our deck was pretty cracked and many of the knot holes were raised up. This was the first coat. The directions indicate it needs two coats to fill in the cracks. I intend on the second coat this weekend, and will be using a 1.25" nap concrete/stuco cover this time. Should fill in the cracks even better, now I hope. Otherwise, yes I like the product. However, i have noticed that with this coating on the deck, it is noticably hotter with the sun beating on it.
heythereterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might search the paint section for threads on the Rustoleum product. There have been several this season. One person did not like it after a season but was finding it a terrible challenge to remove if that is a possible issue for you.

By the way, you might want to update your profile with basic geographic information. Sometimes people have specific product recommendations for your climate if they know where you are.

Last edited by user1007; 07-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

I haven't tried these products but my "skeptic antenna" is way up. Putting on such a thick coating gets me to thinking that when that stuff goes bad, it's gonna crack and peel in chunks. Plus, it seems to be very costly. They claim to cover about 100 sq. ft. but lots of folks say it covers about half of that. Most decks are salvageable after a thorough cleaning, some sanding, and applying a quality deck stain or toner so I feel a product like these two are risky ventures at best.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Most decks are salvageable after a thorough cleaning, some sanding, and applying a quality deck stain or toner so I feel a product like these two are risky ventures at best.
The problem is deck wood that is not rotted past usable life, but still has significant cracking. Sanding can't fix that. Products like Restore are sort of like a high build primer on steroids. So that's the scenario and market segment for this sort of product. I can't speak to how well they actually work longer term, just saying there's a real market segment looking for this kind of solution.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
ltd

imho that stuff is ugly ,you couldn't pay me to put that on my deck. I have put Sherwin Williams deckscapes solid over some nasty decks and it was amazing how good they came out ,well I don't know about amazing, but lets just say it looks dam good.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I never liked using solid stains on decks but if Deckscapes (solid) is half the product Woodscapes---for vertical surfaces---is it might be worth a shot. Any deck is going to need attention every three years on average so just plan for that. Since a solid stain leaves more pigment on the surface you can expect for it to deteriorate sooner.

Just like with interior floors, rugs can do a lot for decks. Nice exterior ones are no longer so expensive and you can get them in all sorts of colors, textures, patterns and shapes.

Prep is key for any product of course.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #9

This stuff is not really like a stain. It is thick, really thick, that is why so little coverage per gallon. You use a special furnished roller and it almost feels rubbery when applied. And if i'm not mistaken it has grit in it to be non slippery And it is very messy to apply. Now having said that let me say I have never used it this info is from a friend who used it so it is second hand info. Can't find much on how it will hold up since it's a pretty new product. I guess I should say I'm talking about RESTORE.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heythereterry View Post
How did it turn out?
How large was your deck and how much product did you need?
Do you have any pics?
So far it is working out pretty good. I had it tinted 'port wine' (red) which matched our roof. I have a (2) level deck, pretty large (upper deck 24 x 12, lower deck 32 x 12). The instructions say it needs two coats to be effective, which is true. I actually put 3 coats on the upper deck as it was build a couple years before the lower deck was added on. Upper deck was more weather beaten. Total usage (3) 5 gal buckets @ $159.00ea. Included covering all the rails and spindles. As for the ney-sayers.... Yes, time will tell how well it lasts, or if it cracks, peels, etc. I figured if I can get 5-8 more years out of the deck, it has paid for itself.
BigLarr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
And if i'm not mistaken it has grit in it to be non slippery
It does have a kind of grit in it, and grit does make things non slippery, but that's not the reason the grit is in there. It's adding to the solids content to fill in cracks and holes. It's like spackle and primer in one (maybe I should patent that and sell it at Home Depot. Actually I think they already have that!) But anyway, it's a way to get it really thick and filling and still have strength - like sanded grout in a way.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

yes

http://www.scotchblue.com/wps/portal...9221386&rt=rud
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #13

He's patching while he's priming, she's priming while she's patching.....
Old 07-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #14

I love these kind of products, they actually destroy the decking below and the framing... Full replacement after a few years of that garbage on the deck. Water WILL get in and it won't get out very easily and overall they just look like poo.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #15

Another thing to consider before using this product. Since they seem to make the deck surface very hot in full sun, consider your pets who may go out onto the deck and then into the yard to do their business........their paws will get scorched.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote