DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

old swing set how to Strip and clean ?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a nice used redwood ceder swing set i wanted to clean it up so i purchased a deck cleaner from lowes it cleaned it up put there is still some dark stains can anyone tell me the best way to go about this ..and what are the best stains and sealers out there for this .

#2 ·
As is the case with any old wood stain project, inside or out, where you have discoloration? You can try bleaching the dark stains but good luck. Or you can try blending things together with a quality semi-transparent stain.

In this case for an exterior swing set? I would pick a solid color acrylic stain in a color you like. It will cover the color differences but still let the wood grain and texture show. I am sort of out of the business now but MAB's solid color stains were my fave for this sort of thing. The store would even tint to match just about anything. MAB was bought by Sherwin Williams a few years ago so I suspect their stains may have been folded into the SW line. I hope so. Great stuff.

Get paint store, not box store stain though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.