Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #1

Share |

Old paint

I have some old paint sitting around my house that was left over by the previous owner and I was wondering what is the best way to dispose of it.

woodenSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Learning Things Every Day

Old paint

That would depend on what type of paint it is.

A Google search turns up a lot of info, but I'm still curious to see what the pros here have to say.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #3

Old paint

Open the cans and let it dry. Then you can just throw it away.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Old paint

If its latex you can harden it and dispose of it as you would with normal household trash. They sell hardener in painting stores, as an alternative you can add cat litter to the paint or pour it onto plastic and wait until it hardens.
You could donate the paint to an organization such as Habitat for Humanity or similar organization.
You can check with your local government to see if they have a waste recycling day for paints.

We donate our paints that are good and if they are not good then we bundle them up into 5 gallon pails keeping oil and latex separate and then bring them to a recycling center that accepts paint.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #5

Old paint

Laws concerning paint disposal vary from state to state, county to county. Call your local waste disposal company and they can advise you as to what is legal for your town.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Old paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
If its latex you can harden it and dispose of it as you would with normal household trash. They sell hardener in painting stores, as an alternative you can add cat litter to the paint or pour it onto plastic and wait until it hardens.
You could donate the paint to an organization such as Habitat for Humanity or similar organization.
You can check with your local government to see if they have a waste recycling day for paints.

We donate our paints that are good and if they are not good then we bundle them up into 5 gallon pails keeping oil and latex separate and then bring them to a recycling center that accepts paint.
Please note the comment about donating only good paint! I ran the volunteers that had to sort through all the crap paint, often with not enough the in the can to do any good, people donated to a Habitat ReStore because they didn't want to bother disposing of it properly. It got so bad, the ReStore I volunteered for had to stop accepting paint at all for a time.

If you donate, please stir it up to make sure it is still good. And paint a glob of the color on the lid! Nobody can tell what color it is from the color name. And come on, if it has been freezing in the winter and baking in the summer stored in a garage, and you break a stir stick trying to get it mixed? Play fair! ReStore doesn't want it either!!!

In most areas you can put dried latex in with the trash but some haulers may still refuse it and you may find paint cans next to your empty trash cans. They are not going to take the time to read the labels (if the workers even speak English) to determine between latex or oil or make sure the contents are dried out.

Oil paints and solvents should be saved for annual or biannual recycling events, or as mentioned, dropped off at a recycling center setup to handle them. Check online for event dates or locations. Your local library will usually have schedule information too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #7

Old paint

I guess I'm so frugal/cheap that I keep almost all my old paint & all old paint anyone gives me. If it isn't a common color, I mix it in a 5 gallon bucket with other similar colors/sheens & usually come up with a taupe color. I then use it for various oddball tasks such as apartment repaints, old sheds or garages, just about anything that doesn't require a particular color..........it sure beats the heck out of going out and having to buy a couple gallons of paint when you really don't have to.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

Old paint

I'm doing it right now. I have about 25 gallons and a couple of fives that have gone to pot, for whatever reason, it's about an every one to two year project. I buy a 40-50 lb bag of oil absorb at auto store, about $8.00. Stir in enough to turn it to a thick oatmeal, oil or latex, and let it set for 2-3 days and it will harden enough that it should be accepted as trash. They just took about 6-7 hardened gallons away the other day. If there is anymore than a 1/2 gallon in a can, you'll have a hard time getting enough absorb into to harden it properly. Take an old container to pour off excess and then harden that as well.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-08-2012)