Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

Old house with lead paint

Our home is 53 yrs old and has tested positive for lead paint in the bathroom, on the linen cabinet. Didn't realize this (stupid me!) until after I'd scraped all the loose paint off (LOTS of peeling paint on ceiling, door frame and linen cabinet) and used a sander on the linen cabinet frame and 3 of 4 doors. Now that I know there's lead paint, what's the best way and/or products to deal with it. One cabinet door that I hadn't used the sander on striped beautifully, all the way down to the wood, with just one coat of a Crown product. Didn't think that would be the case so I didn't do a test - just went straight to sanding and then forgot to sand the last door. The only sanded door I tried to strip is now down to some sort of a green paint or primer(?) that doesn't want to come off with the stripper. All of the doors started out like the upper doors that are the blue and white photos. I'd love to refinish the cabinet, but can repaint if you guys recommend it. Also, is there any product that will level itself? If we just paint over bathroom ceiling, the cabinet and the door frame, I think it will look horrible because the surfaces are so uneven.Thanks for your help!
Name:  CameraZOOM-20130713204211609.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  17.0 KB

Name:  CameraZOOM-20130713204315834.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  CameraZOOM-20130713204346269.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  15.6 KB

Old house with lead paint-img_20130710_173443.jpg
kjwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwil View Post
tested positive for lead paint in the bathroom, on the linen cabinet.
So what?

Are you planning to rent out the home?
To a family with young children?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #3

Don't get yourself worked up into too much of a dither about the lead, especially if you somehow contained the dust with a vacuum on sander. A lot of work to properly clean up, but not difficult. It's a real PITA!

Just give everything a really good cleaning using TSP. Because lead is heavy it wants to drop to the floor (gravity, you know). Mix the TSP with very hot water, put in spray bottle, and starting at the top and working your way down, wash ceilings, wall and floor. Spray surface, wipe with cloth. Throw cloth away when it is dirty into a 3 mil bag. Use a fresh cloth, don't rinse and reuse. When you get to the floor, do until you think it is clean. Then use a swiffer for cleanup, one sheet for no more than 10 s.f. When they are pretty clean, then you have it cleaned it up. Be sure to get all surfaces, especially if you were working near the kitchen. When you are done, tie the 3mil bag in a gooseneck knot, and then put it into another 3 mil bag and gooseneck tie it. In our state you just send the debris to the landfill.

Wash hands and face, don't eat and drink while doing the work, try not to track it around.
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #4

No, it's not a rental and there are no children, just pets.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

No vacuum on the sander. Is there a certain ratio of TSP to water or just follow directions? What are the next steps? Can I continue to try stripping the cabinet or should I just repaint it, as well as the ceiling and door frame and call it done? Is there a self-leveling product that will give me a smooth surface to paint or am I stuck with the uneven mess I've already got. Can anyone recommend a product for abatement? I'm sorry for all of the questions, I just don't want to screw this up more than I already have. Also, how do you tie a gooseneck knot?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Just do not go eating off the floor, or bite your nails. Hope you wore a face mask while doing, otherwise you will have some nasty stuff coming out for a while, when you blow your nose.

As for the lead paint, the deed is done now, not much you can do in this situation, is other than make sure that you wipe everything down with damp towels, then dispose of afterwards, along with the rubber gloves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #7

A gooseneck knot is simply to grab the bag, scoop all open edge into your fist, twist to make like a rope and make a knot in the "rope".
Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #8

Thanks for the knot info. Anyone want to weigh in on whether or not to continue stripping the cabinet and sending the ceiling (after applying something like Ecoban on both) or just cut my losses and repaint? I could really use some advice on how to level the surfaces I'm going to paint, especially the ceiling and door frame. There was so much chipped and curling paint on them that I'm concerned about how it's going to look of I don't do something. This is the first time I've attempted something like this and have no clue on the best way to proceed. I am so grateful for your suggestions and advice!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #9
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwil View Post
No, it's not a rental and there are no children, just pets.
There's no such thing as just pets, animals are far more sensitive to toxic substances than people, and their residing mostly near the floor means they are exposed more to the heavier substances near the floor, including lead dust, pesticides, formaldehyde in carpeting. They also tend to eat, drink and lick near the floor and surfaces.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #10

You want to do the cleanup because there might be children in the environment. Babies crawl around on the floor and put everything in their mouths.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

I understand your concern, but believe me, I don't consider them "just" pets. They were in a different part of the house when all of this was going on and my husband and I cleaned all the floors, not just the floors adjacent to the bathroom on our hands and knees to get every thing up. :0)
Old 07-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

If you are using good clean up procedures, then I would just continue as you were till you got it all smooth, then prime and paint. You can do that as a home owner, me? not so much.

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
kjwil (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #13

Excellent! Thanks so much!!!!