Old Home In Need Of Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Old home In need of painting

My home was built in 1948, it obviously has oil paint on it, and most likely one or more layers contains lead.

What is the best way to get this stuff off? Its got too many coats, and is peeling in far to many places for a simple scrape and touch up job. Especially the side of the house facing the weather.

I don't really have a ton of cash to burn either, I'm just hanging onto some slim hope there is a DIY way to this. Otherwise I will have to take out a home equity loan.

Here is what I have tried/thought of so far. I tried power washing, but the amount of force required to loosen the paint raises the grain of the wood. So that option is out.

I know they have infrared paint strippers, but I am worried I will burn the house down.

Belt/Orbital Sanding is kinda outa the question too since there is liekly lead in the paint... Although it is pretty safe other than the dust part.

Dont know of any industrial strippers that can be used for a whole house...

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

nowwhatnapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

I know they have infrared paint strippers, but I am worried I will burn the house down.

Why? These are safe , efficient tools,if you can afford a good one.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Peel Away 7 might be a good alternative. It is a lot of work and you need to protect the surroundings. An alternative is to use Peel Bond from XIM. Scrape all loose paint but you can leave any sound checked or crazed paint. Spray or brush thin coat of Peel Bond to seal the surface and penetrate any bare wood. Preferably spray a second "build coat" of Peel Bond- up to 30 mils wet to even out the layers of paint. Spray a good latex topcoat and you are good to go. This method is quite a bit less labor intensive than a full strip job, gives a good result, doesn't produce airborne lead dust, and easier to contain the chips.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

Before you go scraping paint, you need to check the regulations in your jurisdiction for the lead paint chips you are scraping off. If you just let them hit the ground, and do nothing with them, you could be on the hook for a big bill to haul your soil off to a hazmat site. Your local health or building department should be able to tell you the laws in your particular area.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for your responses all,

sirwired: I understand your concern about the lead. We have well water here and dont plan on letting any of it hit the ground except for the stuff that has already flaked off due to weather. We stopped drinking our well water some time ago since we haven't had it tested in awhile.

Tommy Boy: I remember looking at peel away's products some time ago, they had so many different ones I eventually gave up the idea. the #7 looks fairly good, applied as paste, breaks down the lead. Good for a few layers of paint. I think I will contact the manufacturer to get a price quote and some more information.

chrisn: I realize they are great "expensive" tools, and would love to use one, but I am not trained and my home is my greatest asset. My luck I will hit a patch of dry wood, or leave it on too long and poof there goes my life.

Oh and lastly someone report zeroge to the admins lol
nowwhatnapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you have large areas of clapboard to do then strip it off mechanically, and save the chemicals for the trim and those areas where the shaver doesn't reach. If there's a chance of lead, attach the shaver to a HEPA vac.

Large areas can be stripped and may need sanding, but much more effective and efficient than heat/sanding/stripping.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

This seems like quite an ordeal to remove it -- and I'm one who is slowly working my way around the interior of our housing removing paint from trim (with Multi-strip...great product, but not sure for outside?)-- but, can't you get a smooth surface, seal it in and paint over it? Not sure what product you'd use, but check with a paint store. Lead paint is fine as long as it's encapsulated. Otherwise you run the risk of creating a bigger mess -- and health hazard.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Mechanical removal isn't all that big a deal...the quoted production rate is a square foot of paint removed every 20-30 seconds for clapboard. When you're looking at areas over 1000 sq ft, you have to have a quick and safe method.

Not saying that's the case here but still.

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote