Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Share |

Old Historic Farmhouse

I will be painting an old Farmhouse after I replace one or two exterior walls. The walls are made of shiplap. A number of questions, if you please. Should I paint the new boards befor I install them or after they are all in place? For the existing or remaining walls that aren't being replaced, what is the best way to paint them? ... By brush, roller and brush or spray. The building is about 100 years old and is about 20 feet to the peak. The colors will be yellow with whith accent trims. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks. Mark

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #2

Old Historic Farmhouse

It's always preferable to get at least prime and one coat on while on the ground, it saves the climbing and is faster. Just make sure, if unprimed, that you brush the primer in well. Work it into the pores. You could do both coats and touch up any damage. Will fasteners be visible? It's also a good idea to back prime any wood before installation with a quality oil base primer/sealer to prevent moisture transfer from the back side through the front. As to painting the rest, it's a matter of what is most effective and efficient.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Solutions (handyman)

Old Historic Farmhouse

Thanks Joe. Should both sides of the boards be painted? I think that the back side (out of sight) should be left natural to allow for the wood to "dry out". No? What about these paints that suggest they don't require primers, any good or not worth the convenience? Any other hints are appreciated.
Mark
Old 04-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #4

Old Historic Farmhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harvey View Post
Thanks Joe. Should both sides of the boards be painted? I think that the back side (out of sight) should be left natural to allow for the wood to "dry out". No? What about these paints that suggest they don't require primers, any good or not worth the convenience? Any other hints are appreciated.
Mark
Backprime. If any moisture gets trapped behind the siding, you don't want it absorbed by the raw siding where it can be pulled through the front taking the paint with it. It's a vapor barrier. I would use a long drying, penetrating oil primer, front and back. What about the existing sides, any failure there? How are they holding up paintwise?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Solutions (handyman)

Old Historic Farmhouse

Joe, The building is about 100 years old. The two walls that won't be rerplaced are in fair shape and, I think, a fresh coart of paint will enhance the appearance. It's only for show as this is a museum piece. On the two walls to be re-sided, I think I'll use a house-wrap (Tyvek or whatever) to replace what is there (I think tar paper or a cardboard paper). Because it is a show piece and a museum building, I want it to look nice and last a fair amount of time. As mentioned, the colors will be yellow with white trim. Is there a recommended paint for durability? Someone suggested Behr Premium, but I thought to ask a pro. Regards.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Old Historic Farmhouse

Forget the Behr, PLEASE,Go to a paintstore such as Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams and get their top line exterior Acrylic paint. Just ask them.As for the priming, as Joe said ,Prime ALL sides, including the edges.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Mark Harvey (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #7

Old Historic Farmhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Forget the Behr, PLEASE,Go to a paintstore such as Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams and get their top line exterior Acrylic paint. Just ask them.As for the priming, as Joe said ,Prime ALL sides, including the edges.
I'll second that. Even with a tyvek barrier, it's still good practice to back prime all wood, all six sides. I'd go with a BM or SW line as well. On the existing sides, scrape, sand, prime then finish. Good Luck.