Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Share |

old fashion black ? shellac

I've refinished many old antiques for myself. 50% stunning results, 50% disasters.

My dad had an old black desk. I removed a corner of the finish on a back leg and was thrilled to see it was cherry. But.............

After striping the entire desk, and even soaking and removing a beautiful burl veneer on the front I discovered it was only an ordinary dull maple, with just cherry legs.

Now I have a dull medium brown desk.

I wonder if I paint it a shinny black if it will look similar to what it was? Will a paint store have a high lacquer black paint? It didn't seem like it had paint previously, more like a black shellack. Don't know the age of it but he had it 60 years.

thanks in advance.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I should think a paint store would have a dark black lacquer or a deep ebony stain. You might also email or call a woodworking supplier. I have mixed feeling about gel stains but you might see how dark you can get one and try it on a small section. Coat with a nice protective finish.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

I would only recommend an opaque system where you ar dealing with two challenges; different wood types and a refinish. If you want a first-class ob, it will need a gloss black pre-catalyzed lacquer or conversion varnish. If you are not a professional, contract it out to a furniture refinisher. Thet can have it gleaming like a grand piano.

A paint system will not have the depth of gloss nor the hardness that those lacquers will supply.
Good luck!
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote