Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Share |

Old Chipped and New Paint?

Hello -

I planning on painting the one side of my porch this spring and need to remove some chipping paint but now all of it.

Can someone please suggest how I make sure the new paint feathers into the old paint as to not see where the old paint starts and new paint ends.

Thank you,
David
ostinoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

If the paint is failing (peeling) in some locations is may do the same in others. Painting over the whole thing may just mask the problem or put it off. But that may be enough for your needs.

You could sand the edges (don't dry sand old paint!! LEAD) to smooth the transition from old to new.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

Hey David,
When youíre removing any chipping or peeling paint itís always good to try and remove the majority if not all of it. The paint you put on top is only as strong as its substrate or undercoat. That being said Id use a paint scraper and remove as much of the loose chips you possible can and follow that with a 120 grit sandpaper, this is a medium grit and will begin feathering the edges around the chips. If you feel there still needs to be some smoothing out go with a 220 grit this is a Fine grit and will smooth out anything that is leftover or caused by the coarser paper. There area also a number of paint strippers and solvent based products that are designed to remove old paint like you are doing. There are also some tools such as the Wagner paint eater that is also designed to do nothing but remove the paint off a number of different surfaces.
After itís all dusted off and ready for paint be sure to use a primer first to avoid this in the future, Dependent upon what material your porch is made of there are a number of primers that will work better than others.
Let us know if you have any more questions, glad we could help.
And be sure to wear the proper safety equipment whenever youíre dealing with a older home as it could contain lead.
HDwetPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #4

Thank you both for those tips.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
the Musigician

If in the SLIGHTEST doubt of the age and content of the paint, TEST IT!

Free lead test kits: http://store.accukits.com/frlepatekit.html

or: http://www.portlandonline.com/phb/index.cfm?c=52812

In the UK: http://www.lipsa.org.uk/

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #6

And a tip about scraping. Scrape it hard, and when you are done and think you've gotten it all, scrape it again.

The reason is that where some paint has peeled, the rest of it that is adjacent is likely not far behind. And when you paint it, the new paint when it cures will in fact draw the old paint away from surface and it will peel too. Within a year you may have a whole new problem. That happened on my house when I had it painted 5 years ago. I had to repaint that part again this past summer.

Depending on how big the area is that you're working on and what your siding is that you'd be better off taking a heat gun and stripping the paint that is peeling as well as a good bit of the paint bordering it entirely off. If you have clapboard that might in fact make it considerably easier than sanding. You can just strip the boards that are a problem.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #7

Terrific advice everyone.. Thank you