DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

ok, mixed messages, can I use a roller to paint a popcorn ceiling?

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  brenda o 
#1 ·
Went through pages of postings for subtitles, then tutitorial......Some say yes, some no. With the yes, thick nap and can only go one way then stop or its going to peel off on me? or drip all over? I don't have a sprayer and really aren't familiar with using them. I get a pic of overspray all over just thinking about it. New to this site and you guys already helped with a flooring question, figured painting was next. Definately some pros on here, thanks:)

#2 · (Edited)
There are to many variables to mention but sometimes you can roll a pop corn ceiling, sometimes not so well. It would certainly be better to roll on a fast drying oil based primer first as it will not tend to soak in and loosen the texture, 1/2 inch nap a minimum,3/4 better and rolling one way not back and forth.also,just to add, if it is a small ceiling a couple spray cans of primer will work first before regular paint.Removal of the pop corn would still be the best option, after it is painted it is basicly there forever.

#5 ·
Yeah, it's just basically something to cover up poor drywall finishing. Became popular when things were "booming" in the '70s a an option to "stipple". Builders could get the drywall contractor to texture a ceiling (either method) for less than it cost to add the final "skim" (for a smooth finish) and the drywall contractor could get by with "lower quality" (hence pay less) finishing. And the ceiling was a "done deal", no paint required, so that money was "saved" too.....

#10 ·
Whoa!!! Hang on a minute here, guys! How old is this popcorn? Up until it was banned in 1978, it contained up to 8% asbestos. Warehouse stocks were grandfathered in and used up until 1986 in some places.
If it dates back that far, it's still easily do-able, but you'll need to take proper precautions for removal and disposal.

If it's newer than that, never mind, go for it....it's easy, just messy:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.