Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Share |

Oil streaking down walls

I paid a painting company to paint interior of upstairs walls. I live in Florida and it was almost 100 when I got home to see streaks of oil coming down from 2 of my walls. They used oil based kiltz and latex pait (both good quality). I have called several people and they cannot tell me what it is. Can you plz help.

Wall was painted in cooler temp.

pam0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #2

Oil streaking down walls

Can you post some pics?

Do you have AC in the house and was it on while the crew was painting?? Any chance that the walls were "damp" from humidity while painting - no AC, Windows left open, exterior walls with poor insulation, etc...???

Was it just a hallway that was painted or are we taling abouta bathroom?? Did you notice this immediately or did it happen after a few days?

Did they put the oil based Killz on and then topcoat in the same day - do you know how long they waited between coats?? ???

Lot of stuff that could have happened here - I hate assuming and guessing but the first thing that comes to mind is if an oil based primer was used on a 100 degree muggy florida day I would hope that there was central AC in the house with a temp hovering around 70 and humidity level kept in check otherwise that could certainly be a big part of your problem. Post some pics if you can with some answers and I'm sure we can guide you through a fix.

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

Oil streaking down walls

The door was left open because it was cool (about 60) and due to smell. They put on kiltz and then immediately painted and then put on 2nd coat as soon as 1st coat was dry.

They painted the exterior walls in hallway upstairs but on 2 walls are streaking. I did not notice this until the weather got really hot and as you know, heat rises and the upstairs gets really hot. Humidity has been terrible last few weeks and that is when I saw both walls looked like someone that thrown oil on them and it was just running down. Tks for your reply.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #4

Oil streaking down walls

Sounds like your paint is leeching. That's when too much moisture/humidity gets to the paint before it dries. That can also happen with poorly mixed or watered down paint. That's what a warranty is for.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #5

Oil streaking down walls

what can be done to fix the problem if the moisture is still there?? Thank you for your help.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #6

Oil streaking down walls

Certainly sounds like surfactant leeching to me as well. if that is what it is there is not much you can do. Just try wiping down the walls with a damp rag. If that doesn't do it than I would ask that you answer the questions I posted above and I'm sure we can give you some better solutions. In most cases you really don't have to repaint. If the painters used a low end paint (do you know what they used?), and if the house is always humid in the summer (do you have central air? - do you leave it on while you're out?) that will certainly increase the chances of it coming back and not cleaning up easily.

good luck
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #7

Oil streaking down walls

The a/c stays on all the time during summer months but upstairs stays warmer. I bought Benjamin Moore paint. They kiltz and shortly after, they painted. This started happening just 3-4 weeks after they painted. When I try to wipe off, it comes off but leaves a stain. Ill try getting another painter in and thank you.