Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #1

Share |

Oil stain for deck in Seattle wa

We have entered into rain season and I am still working on deck project.
We have 3 cedar decks and need serious prep and protection.
Previously, it was covered 2-3 times with latex dect stains and it is weathered and peeling and breaking away. I am still trying to clean up stain to coat. Hopefully, prep can be finished soon.
I have asked paint dept staff and some painters and they all tell me to go with solidest stain to get most protection then going transparency or semi. If we go with oil stain for our area, what is best types of stain to achieve natural wood color?

Please advise if oil stain will be a good option for weather in Northwest & will oil stain apply during upper 50 to 60 be okay?

Also, to speed up the prep process, I am thinking of renting Paint Shaver.
Shaving paint will definitely shave off small amount of wood, but is this ok?
Andee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #2

The only way you can go with a semi or transparent stain is if you remove all of the current solid latex, and even then you might have difficutly. The more pigment a stain has the more protection against uv rays. In all honesty Andee, I would probably shut the project down if you're entering a rainy season. Prepping wet wood in a rainy season is not very smart, as it's soft and you could end up gouging it. My advice to you would be to spend the rainy nights reading up on stains/staining, get your plan together, and attack when the rainy season ends. Even if you do get the prep work done, you still won't be able to stain unless you can get about a 5-7 day string of nice dry weather, 2-3 for the decks to dry to 18% or less moisture content, however many days to stain, and at least 24 dry hours before rain on fresh stain. And, the more stain you strip now is more wood surface exposed while you're waiting, which could end up finding you doing more prep work later. It's your call.
Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
The only way you can go with a semi or transparent stain is if you remove all of the current solid latex, and even then you might have difficutly. The more pigment a stain has the more protection against uv rays. In all honesty Andee, I would probably shut the project down if you're entering a rainy season. Prepping wet wood in a rainy season is not very smart, as it's soft and you could end up gouging it. My advice to you would be to spend the rainy nights reading up on stains/staining, get your plan together, and attack when the rainy season ends. Even if you do get the prep work done, you still won't be able to stain unless you can get about a 5-7 day string of nice dry weather, 2-3 for the decks to dry to 18% or less moisture content, however many days to stain, and at least 24 dry hours before rain on fresh stain. And, the more stain you strip now is more wood surface exposed while you're waiting, which could end up finding you doing more prep work later. It's your call.
Joe
I guess, I will stop until next spring. I still have a lot to go to get down to wood and it already started raining yesterday.

With wood showing and some area already spliting in grain, any protection for bare wood until next spring?

Thank you,
Andee
Andee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #4

Not unless you tarp it. I think you'll be alright.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #5

I agree, the weather and unstable environmental conditions will be challenging to work around right now. Most stains need at least 50 degrees F to cure properly. I would recommend a hybrid stain (oil/acrylic) , like the Flood SWF (Solid) or the TWF (Semi-Transparent). The advantage with these products (which have alkyd resin, acrylic resin, and urethane), is that you get the penetration of the oil, with the color retention of the acrylic. With semi-transparent, it is especially important to achieve a sound surface (free of the prior coating), as it will show with a S/T finish.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote