Oil Primer Recommendation On Raw Pine - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Oil Primer Recommendation on Raw Pine

Application # 1 is on ...raw... southern yellow pine... rought-sawn lumber... that has been wire-brushed so all lose wood fibers have been removed, only a few knots in the lumber, all windows and doors in the entire house are trimmed with this material.

Application # 2 is on... raw... northern red pine... with quite a few wood knots... all baseboards in the entire house are trimmed with this material.

I'm looking for the best primer/undercoter that I can use....

I purchased some S/W Problock Oil Primer yesterday...... they quit selling Preprite wall and wood oil primer since the last time I visited there.

I considered Zinsser BIN Shellac Based Primer but we are currently occupying house, and did not know if the odor would be tolerable

Anyhow, I have access to Sherwin-Williams, and Lowes painting department.

If it were your house... what primer would you choose... from these distributors?

Advertisement

Bpawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think I would be tempted to spot the knots with a shellac based product or just shellac and then use this even though it is not an oil-based product.

I think Sherwin Williams still makes an alkyd enamel underlay as well? You might have to ask about it. Ask the store for alternative recs or wait for others to post.

An old-timer I learned a lot from used to swear by a 50/50 mix of boiled (not raw) lindseed oil and mineral spirits for a first primer coat on new pine. I never tried it.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

As sd just said, you will need to seal the knots with shellac, Bin is the choice for that. It does smell BAD but you really need it to seal the knots. After that,I would ask at the paint store( not HD or Lowes).I am not sure a good latex 100% acrylic such as BM Fresh Start would not work and fore go the oil completely.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

the linseed oil works great but takes a while to cure and also has strong odor. If you are staying with a clear finish the linseed mix sd talked of has great hues with the pine. will need periodic retreat but is a nice look imo. Did a walnut slab/table for a friend for their deck and still looks good 2 yrs later
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Spot prime with BIN then prime it all with 1-2-3 Acrylic. Almost every manufacturer I'm dealing with now is recommending the Acrylic products over the oil on certain woods. Exterior yellow pine / German lap siding being the biggest issue. Oil just isn't what it use to be.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,070

Southern yellow Pine? You need oil. That wood will bleed through latex almost over the whole board, not just the knots.

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote