DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Oil primer before woodfiller / bondo?!? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/oil-primer-before-woodfiller-bondo-146160/)

skiposwald 06-06-2012 08:21 AM

Oil primer before woodfiller / bondo?!?
 
I have been stripping the paint off the wood exterior of my house, filling the nail holes, chips and cracks with bondo and then oil priming it for a couple of years now, and I am happy with the results after several winters. I am thinking about hiring a painter to finish the rest of the house, and he mentioned that he oil primes BEFORE he uses bondo. Is that a bad idea?

user1007 06-06-2012 09:32 AM

Priming before a wood filler can provide a base for the material to adhere to I guess. The abatron wood restoration system for badly damaged wood has a liquid that is applied before the putty-like epoxy.

Bondo would not be my choice for a wood filler but if it is working for you keep going with it I guess. I guess I think of autobody bondo and I think I heard they do have a wood fill product which might be alright.

You still should prime over repairs and patches by the way.

skiposwald 06-06-2012 04:32 PM

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I just called the 1800 number for whoever makes Bondo, and the person told me that it should definitely be applied before primer.

chrisn 06-06-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiposwald (Post 937516)
I have been stripping the paint off the wood exterior of my house, filling the nail holes, chips and cracks with bondo and then oil priming it for a couple of years now, and I am happy with the results after several winters. I am thinking about hiring a painter to finish the rest of the house, and he mentioned that he oil primes BEFORE he uses bondo. Is that a bad idea?


that would be correct for anything, bondo? not sure as I have never used it for that purpose, the painter should know what he , she is doing

joecaption 06-06-2012 05:11 PM

I use this instead of Bondo.
http://www.waterputty.com/

chrisn 06-07-2012 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 937793)
I use this instead of Bondo.
http://www.waterputty.com/


Which totaly sucks when used on any exterior:yes:

user1007 06-07-2012 06:28 AM

You know. If I captured the posts of a certain poster I would have a great "How Not to Paint" book for my little publishing empire to publish. If I illustrated the suggestions they would almost be humorous at times.:thumbup:

chrisn 06-08-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 938155)
You know. If I captured the posts of a certain poster I would have a great "How Not to Paint" book for my little publishing empire to publish. If I illustrated the suggestions they would almost be humorous at times.:thumbup:



ALMOST being the operative word:laughing:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved