Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #1

Share |

Oil Based Painting

Hi All,

I know that when using latex paints, the brushes and rollers need to be conditioned by soaking them in water to make them damp before painting.

Is the same sort of thing done when using oil based paints? Should I condition the brushes and rollers in a similar manner with mineral spirits? If so, which particular one?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Bob Guercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #2

Oil Based Painting

Pre-condition with whatever type thinner your oil base requires for clean-up. Most alkyds clean up with mineral spirits so pre-condition with MS. Shellac based coatings require lacquer thinner, other oil-bases require other types of thinners. Anyway, it is a good idea to pre-conditon, but, it's not the end of the world if you don't.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Bob Guercio (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
handpaintedbysteve.com

Oil Based Painting

Hey Bob,
If you're using a new bristle brush, after you remove it from the wrapper, slap the bristles a few times on the edge of a counter to remove any loose bristles. Nothing worse than have a bristle come out on newly painted surface. Wrap your roller cover (if you're using one) with masking tape a couple of times to remove any fuzz or lint.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #4

Oil Based Painting

All that the pre-conditioning of your brushes does is make the paint run out of your brush and down your arm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 05:05 AM   #5

Oil Based Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
All that the pre-conditioning of your brushes does is make the paint run out of your brush and down your arm.
Mathew,

I disagree!

The preconditioning makes the brushes extremely easy to clean. With a light film of water on the bristles, the paint is not able to dry to them and easily comes off under running water.

Also, I haven't had any problem with preconditioning making the paint run out of the brush down my arm.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Guercio For This Useful Post:
boman47k (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Super Master Painter

Oil Based Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guercio View Post
Mathew,

I disagree!

The preconditioning makes the brushes extremely easy to clean. With a light film of water on the bristles, the paint is not able to dry to them and easily comes off under running water.

Also, I haven't had any problem with preconditioning making the paint run out of the brush down my arm.

Bob

you think that ''water'' sticks around all day while your painting?? ............lol, eventually that ''light film of water'' mixes with the paint and becomes a non issue..........

its all in your head trust me
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Super Master Painter

Oil Based Painting

i pre-condition my brush with WD-40 ............but we already went down this road before........it works, try it
Old 03-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #8

Oil Based Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
you think that ''water'' sticks around all day while your painting?? ............lol, eventually that ''light film of water'' mixes with the paint and becomes a non issue..........

its all in your head trust me
True.

However, today after spending 13 hours painting, I cleaned my 2.5 inch brush no fewer than about eight times. Some cleanings were necessitated by changing colors while others were for the reason of having a clean and neat brush.

I would say that the time spent cleaning was well worth it.

Bob
Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
Super Master Painter

Oil Based Painting

Quote:
True.

today after spending 13 hours painting, I cleaned my 2.5 inch brush no fewer than about eight times.
Bob

thats the key right there......i like to clean my brushes frequently also before they get all jacked up
Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #10

Oil Based Painting

Quote:
True.

However, today after spending 13 hours painting, I cleaned my 2.5 inch brush no fewer than about eight times. Some cleanings were necessitated by changing colors while others were for the reason of having a clean and neat brush.

I would say that the time spent cleaning was well worth it.

Bob
Bob, if you're doing that much painting, you may want to invest in some more brushes!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #11

Oil Based Painting

I will wash my brushes a few times during the day to keep them fresh and flexible. No drying of paint on the brush or toward the heel.

I will rinse my brushes in thinner and or water then give them a spin between my palms or sling as much out/off as I can, if I am where I can sling them. I do not leave enough in them to cause the paint to run down my arm. If it starts that, it is time to wash or change brush.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Super Master Painter

Oil Based Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
I will rinse my brushes in thinner and or water then give them a spin between my palms or sling as much out/off as I can, .

you ever bang the tip of your shoe with the brush ??? works great but do it outside
Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #13

Oil Based Painting

"Preconditioning" helps to get the brush flowing faster. It will draw the paint into the resevoir in the heel faster which is what the brush needs to function properly and fully. It does eventually mix into the material but by then it's done its job and probably does little to make cleaner easier. If paint runs down your arm, try crochet, it's safer. The same concept applies to roller covers. Wetting them helps to wick the paint into the center of the cover, which is where it needs to get to. That's why a dry roller takes some time to start producing, which is the point in time where the inexperienced crush the nap. In fact, at one time they used to put those instructions on roller covers, wet, spin, then dip. Newer low voc paints require more brush cleaning throughout the day. Wire brush the paint from the ferrule, being careful to avoid damaging the ends of the bristles.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #14

Oil Based Painting

Quote:
you ever bang the tip of your shoe with the brush ??? works great but do it outside
Just make sure you wipe your feet well, lest you put one half of a size ten print in the color of the day on the customer's carpet.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #15

Oil Based Painting

Quote:
Actually, I'm more likely to spin them in a fiver. I was slinging one in a backyard a few days ago, and I noticed I was getting splatter all over my shoes and pants.

I seldom use oil paint. I do use oil primer and was just doing a little priming. I have a coffee jug that I cut a slit in the top for the handle to go catch on leaving the brush tip just off the bottom so the primer will drain as the thinner removes it and not collect on the brush tip. I took it out, gave a sling or two. Got some spotted Nikes for my effort.

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote