Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

oil based enamel on acrylic latex?

Hello. I have an outdoor business sign that I have painted with acrylic latex paint and primer in one, and I was wondering if the rustoleum oil based enamel that I got for the details of the sign would stick to the base paint?

cjgbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

No such thing as paint and primer in one. But you get to remedy at least the underlay layer for the lettering with a coat of nice alkyd primer over what you have. Alkyd is the great equalizer. You can use either oil or latex/acrylic over alkyd. You can use alkyd over oil or water based products.

You can actually detail and letter over what you have done but probably not with regular rustoleum enamel products.

Alkyd resin based sign painters enamel, like "One Shot" are a little stickier than regular paints and they will stick to glass and plex without "crawling". If your paint store does not have them an art store will. One shot comes in just about any color you can imagine and you can also mix them to make your own. They are solvent based paints so you will need mineral spirits, paint thinner, etc, to clean your brushes. And use good ones or all is lost.

Last edited by user1007; 02-26-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added Photo
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgbev View Post
Hello. I have an outdoor business sign that I have painted with acrylic latex paint and primer in one, and I was wondering if the rustoleum oil based enamel that I got for the details of the sign would stick to the base paint?
Yes. Make sure the surface is clean and it will stick fine. Actually, I'd be more concerned about the latex paint and primer sticking to the surface than the Rustoleum sticking to the acrylic. It'll work fine.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote