Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |

Oil/alkyd over acrylic latex porch and floor enamel

Hi,

I've learned a lot looking for an answer on this forum but not as yet an answer to this question.

I recently painted a small boat [bottom only so far] with three coats of acrylic latex porch and floor enamel over two coats of bullseye 1-2-3 primer and all that on top of a layer of epoxy to seal the boat. I did sand and wash the epoxy before priming. If the latex doesn't stand up well which — after some reading — I'm guessing it won't, what is the best way to get it covered in a semi-gloss alkyd?

Thanks a lot, Steve

balifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

i'm not quite understanding what you're saying there Balifornia, did you bail on California? Please re-read your post to see if you explained yourself as intended.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

A mix of bali and california

I guess it is a bit of a messy sentence, so I'll try to clarify:

1] coated mahogany plywood in west system epoxy

2] sanded then washed the epoxy

3] two coats of bullseye 1-2-3 primer

4] three coats of acrylic latex porch and floor enamel but not sure if that is tough enough for a boat bottom so…

If I want to paint over all that with an semi-gloss oil-based paint what is the best method? Should I strip it? Is covering the acrylic latex with more primer sufficient to create a good base for oil paint? Not sure how to proceed…

Thanks again, Stephen
Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

House paints are not meant to be boat paints.
You might have put several coats of fail on your boat. Not really sure, but a little investigation into paints that were meant to be full submerged might prove to be helpful. And find a boat forum where they might know about such things.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with Brush, I'd bet your boat that no standard paints, interior or exterior, would rate for submersion. I've been exploring the boatyards and marinas in Cape May in an effort to learn boat refinishing and all I hear about is epoxy finishes. I've also learned they need to be recoated every year and fully stripped every couple of years. Are you stripping it now or later, else you might be out sailing one day only to find a long paint skin streamer trailing your boat. To put a marine expoxy over what you have now might require a barrier coat, a finish to help prevent the expoxy from melting the previous coat. Again, as Brush said, I would find a good online source, or marina, and get some solid advice from some salty, leather skinned seafarers rather than us pink landlubbers. Good Luck.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
balifornia (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #6

Red face

Sorry, one very important thing I forgot to mention is that the boat will be out of the water except when I'm using it, that is it won't be floating except when when I'm actually in it. So its exposure is more like that of an outdoor porch but even less as I'll have it sitting indoors for long periods [or sometimes outside on sawhorses]. Maybe just forget that it is a boat and think of a porch with previous coats of acrylic latex porch and floor enamel and a desire to make it a little tougher by covering [or replacing!] with an oil-based paint.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
NACE Coating Inspector

check sherwin williams industrial/marine coatings. we use some products that are desighned for submersion but in not sure if they are ment to be used on wood.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #8

You've pretty much screwed up with the latex paint. You can't put the alkyd paint over it and expect it to stick. There are numerous bottom paints for boats and all are going to have you remove what you've already applied or they won't stick either. Might go to the Interlux website, a maker of boat paints, and see what they require. If you are in Kalifornia, you'll need specialized paints as most have a copper base to them which is outlawed in Kalifornia. Since what you have already applied isn't going to stick anyway, I'd use it until most of the current coatings are gone and then strip the rest of it off. Then you can do the job right.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #9

I'll leave it as it is and report back in a year or so [or sooner if it fails before then]. In the meantime I did speak with a boating guy who said he knows people who've done pretty much the same as I've done up to this point — epoxy, primer, acrylic latex — and it is looking good with minor touch-ups after two years. Go figure!

~ Stephen

Tags
acrylic, alkyd, latex, oil, paint