Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #1

Share |

October 1 Lead Paint Regs

I've carefully read the new EPA lead paint regs that go into effect on October 1,2010. Those regs seem to assume that every job that disturbs lead paint will involve a licensed contractor who has received the EPA training. This significantly increases costs.

I'm thinking about taking the training myself so I can continue to employ and supervise casual labor who have worked for me for many years. I don't intend to get a contractors license in my state.

Has anyone else considered this approach. Has anybody talked with home owners insurance companies about liability issues related to this approach?

Scout2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #2

i don't know but i hope your the first one that gets put in jail

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout2006 View Post
I've carefully read the new EPA lead paint regs that go into effect on October 1,2010. Those regs seem to assume that every job that disturbs lead paint will involve a licensed contractor who has received the EPA training. This significantly increases costs.

I'm thinking about taking the training myself so I can continue to employ and supervise casual labor who have worked for me for many years. I don't intend to get a contractors license in my state.

Has anyone else considered this approach. Has anybody talked with home owners insurance companies about liability issues related to this approach?
That law has acually been in effect as of April 22, 2010. The EPA has put an extension on it for contractors who have not yet become a certified firm and have a certified renovator yet.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #4

the class and certs are only $250 in my area. the class isn't the hard part though, the regs in effect make working on pre 1978 homes a royal pain in the ass. no idea on if you need a ccb but like most things it's job Dependant. around here that would mean painting no, framing yes etc..

didn't hear anything about jail but i did about big fines. like $5,000 per offense and or loss of all equipment used on the job. personally i'd rather do a weekend in jail over a 5,000 fine any day.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demolition, lead paint, lead paint encapsulation, window replacement