Oak Cabinet Does Not Stain After Sanding - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Oak cabinet does not stain after sanding

Hi Guys,

Bought Home Depot Oak front face unstained kitchen cabinets. Two doors had glue on them that I found out after staining. I completely sanded down the door piece that had glue on (complete section, not just small area) using 80 grit sand paper. I removed all the sanding dust using lint free cloth. Then I applied stain and I do not get any stain penetration . Compared to the rest of the cabinet, the sanded area is 2X lighter in color. I am using Minwax English chestnut stain. What do I need to do to fix the problem? So far this is what my research yielded me
1. Sanding burnished the wood and removed spores from Oak. What can I do to get spores back?
2. There is sanding dust remaining. I need to use tack cloth to remove the dust.
3. I need to dry the cabinet in the sun.
Any other ideas? Should I sand with 40 grit paper instead of 80?

Thanks

Advertisement

samotlietuvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 79

Oak cabinet does not stain after sanding

I'm just guessing but after you sanded the dust could still be trapped in the spores despite using a tack cloth. If you have an air compressor blow it down really well. Or you could simply add more coats of stain until it matches

Advertisement

Last edited by Dwillems; 10-14-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Dwillems is online now   Reply With Quote