Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Number of coats?? Sw ceiling paint

My question, how many coats of ceiling paint is needed, it was rolled, with a shoreline roller 3/4 nap?

The story is my dad primed my addition with kilz premier, premium. And he did this about 30-45 days ago. I'm building this house and when I get time I continue on each phase. Anyway so I used the sw ceiling paint, nice stuff but shows streaks and different colored areas, this was new drywall. Anyway kilz stated they have a cure time.'after 30 days or so it doesn't take paint to well. It doesn't say that on the package anywhere. Just wondering how many coats of rolled quality paint is the normal.
Thanks
Chip
Baltimore

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

One coat of primer and two coats of paint is standard. Maintain a wet edge and apply your second coat of ceiling paint in the opposit direction of the first coat. If your using SW Brillance it is good stuff, but will need two coats, especially on a new ceiling.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
chrisn (12-28-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #3

Yes, it's nice but I'm a diy'er so I don't know bad paint. I use what others here recommend.

Thanks fir your help!
chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18

Chip, HPNY is correct. Prime and 2 coats. It used to be that SW had ceiling paint that covered in one coat, but, they reformulated and now it takes two.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Chip, HPNY is correct. Prime and 2 coats. It used to be that SW had ceiling paint that covered in one coat, but, they reformulated and now it takes two.
The old classic 99 was better. For res repaints I use Promar 200 flat, lay it on well and usually one coat covers and looks great.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-28-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Pro painter's gospel. Primer and two finish coats.

That said? You do bring up a key point in your post. Especially with latex and acrylics. They need cure time before you can really judge them. Although I must admit I never saw Kilz primer begging for 30 days. I haven't actually read what is printed on the side of a can of paint in many, many years.

You may be trying to race the chemistry of your paint? Let it dry.

Anyhow, I think you might find that some of what now seem like paint imperfections disappearing on you over the the next month. Patience. There is something very zen about watching and waiting for paint to dry. So I am told.

One painter on this site will be all over me in seconds because I love big fat roller covers for some things. He will not even try them for the work I use them.

But why would you use 3/4" nap for the ceiling of primed, flat, new construction ceiling? Is it textured in some way you did not share? It seems like too much paint.

Last edited by user1007; 12-27-2011 at 09:07 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
apply your second coat of ceiling paint in the opposit direction of the first coat.
Opposite as in perpendicular?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Pro painter's gospel. Primer and two finish coats.

That said? You do bring up a key point in your post. Especially with latex and acrylics. They need cure time before you can really judge them. Although I must admit I never saw Kilz primer begging for 30 days. I haven't actually read what is printed on the side of a can of paint in many, many years.

You may be trying to race the chemistry of your paint? Let it dry.

Anyhow, I think you might find that some of what now seem like paint imperfections disappearing on you over the the next month. Patience. There is something very zen about watching and waiting for paint to dry. So I am told.

One painter on this site will be all over me in seconds because I love big fat roller covers for some things. He will not even try them for the work I use them.

But why would you use 3/4" nap for the ceiling of primed, flat, new construction ceiling? Is it textured in some way you did not share? It seems like too much paint.
Just to be clear, I tend to use 3/4 on all walls and ceilings, but not any trim work. If it works for you, great. I have nothing against it, but anything more than 1/4 on trim is not for me. In fact it is a rare occasion to use any roller on any trim work,I tend to use a brush for all cabinets, doors, and trim.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote