Novice Painter With Brand Questions - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Novice painter with brand questions

I am a lady who loves to decorate and I drive my hubby nuts because I bet I have painted the interior of my house over 3 times in past 15 years. I do not want to bash any paint brand as my shortcomings may come from my lack of experience. Up until this past December, I had been loyal to Benjamin-Moore. I enjoy their colors and how the paint applies. I never achieved real satisfaction from paint I bought from Lowes and Home Depot. However, this past holiday I got caught in a pinch when preparing for the holidays. I had to finish my foyer and living room and my dealer did not have the base to mix my color. I was desperate and ended up going to a local hardware store in Damariscotta and bought 10 gallons of their store's brand, Best Look Flat Enamel matched to the Benjamin-Moore color. The hardware brand has been extremely washable and has a softer flat finish than the Regal Matte thatís throughout my house. I am so impressed with the hardware store's paint that I am questioning if it is worth paying over $20 more per gallon for the Benjamin-Moore or Sherwin-Williams brands? I am a novice painter, but I am wondering if hardware brands like Do it Best and Ace provide the overall quality and value of a Benjamin-Moore or Sherwin-Williams. Once again, I am not trying to bash any brand, but am confused.

Advertisement

mbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

No, they are not the same quality, and in general can vary greatly in quality
But that doesn't mean a mid-line type (compared to BM/SW premium) "Hardware Store" paint won't work fine for some applications

The difference would be more noticeable if you had a difficult application for some reason (...insufficient prep, deep color changes, old chalky substrate, dirt or other contamination, poor quality tools), or you did a lot of painting (you'd find and reach the limits of the cheaper paints quicker)

Do It Best and Ace paints are by no means bad
I've used them both...they are pretty good for "Hardware Store Paints"
But they are not the same quality as Duration and Regal

If you've found one that works for you then go with it!

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

From what you say is the Do it Best may be not be as reliable throughout their line depending on the color or quality level. The paint associate at Damariscotta was very passionate about the Do it Best paint quality and I am in love with their ceiling paint and flat enamel. The Regal Matte is very nice, but it seems like its glossy compared to the flat enamel. The Regal Matte also has not washed as well as the flat enamel. Right now I am probably going to take chances with the hardware brand. Especially with all the repainting I do. You are right, I have not done enough painting to run into those situations where the Benjamin-Moore or Sherwin-Williams brands would be ideal for difficult jobs.

Another question though, I used to use a brand called Pratt & Lambert. Is it still around?
mbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Yes, and it's premium lines are also up to premium standards
Though it is not as "available" as BM/SW, so you won't see it recommended as often as the more readily available national brands on forums such as these
Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowers
...The Regal Matte is very nice, but it seems like its glossy compared to the flat enamel. The Regal Matte also has not washed as well as the flat enamel.
Generally enamels are not flat, and generally enamels are more wash-able than their acrylic counterparts
Generally, true flats are not wash-able
The Regal Matte, although considered a flat, does have a slight sheen
If you prefer the flattest flat, and have found one that's wash-able, again...go with it