Not Wallpaper Paste But Stretchy Tape - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 780

not wallpaper paste but stretchy tape

original 1983 wallpaper was put directly on the drywall. Yes, I've read old post on removing paste. Even posted this question a few months ago, but thought at the time I was working with regular paste. I'm not.

Yesterday I rented a wallpaper steamer and man that thing was heavy and standing on a ladder working killed my biceps. I could only work a few hours for the $25 I spent and I didn't accomplish as much to make it worthwhile to me. It made the stuff on the wall 'stretchy' and I got more off but this isn't the answer.

Now I'm wondering about paint remover. Years ago I was into refinishing furniture and used Biz. Not sure it's even on the market now.

This residue on my walls is a thick yellowish stretchy stuff that I can tell has seam lines. I don't know if it was put on separately or was part of the vinyl wallpaper. Steaming it then pulling it off reminded me of pulling the skin off a raw chicken.

Water doesn't touch it. Downey and DIF don't touch it.

I'm so sick of working on these walls with so little results that I feel like painting it and letting the chips fall where they may.

If I paint (after priming, as some areas are clear of the h*llish stuff) I need to use some kind of textured paint. Hoping SW paint store will have suggestions on adding a texture to blend in the areas where the gunk is off the walls, to the area where it remains.

If I had money I'd have the drywall replaced.

Advertisement

Last edited by Startingover; 10-09-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,304

It really sounds like a clay based adhesive which was used for years and years. Even if making it wet helped you remove it, it makes one helluva a mess. You basically get MUD everywhere. If your walls had paint or at least primer on them I would really attack it with an orbital sander. Again, a messy proposition but it will take off the clay as long as the clay is now DRY. I worry about tearing up the paper facing of the drywall since it is not primed. Even if you get the adhesive off with the orbital, you are still likely stuck with skim coating. If you're careful with the sander and can get the clay off with minimal damage to the wall, you could then possibly prime with Guardz and repeaint. I don't think that's likely, but, you may luck out.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

gymschu: what's my (cheapest) solution then? Sounds like the clay stuff. No one has seen this type of adhesive. The rest of my house updating turned out well and I'm happy with the house, but this kitchen, in the center of the house, is a living nightmare.

Haven't tried a sander yet, but I do have a little one maybe 6" x 6" that I'll try tomorrow.

I'm wondering how expensive tearing off old drywall and putting new drywall up is? I don't think the drywall cost a lot, but the labor would probably break my budget. Plus this kitchen is the last room to do and I'd now hate to have drywall dust all over my newly cleaned and decorated house.

So.......what's "skim coating" mean? I'm guessing it's a thin layer of something. Is that something a weekend warrior could do? Would I have to do all the walls or could I just do the areas where this adhesive is the worst?

Even where there are large areas of this adhesive what will happen if I put the Gardz over it.

thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

It doesn't sound like clay to me. You can get clay to wet, and then scrape off with a 6" blade. Messy, yes, rubbery, no.
Vinyl to vinyl glue ( I think I CAN use glue here!) will be rubbery and nearly impossible to remove. If someone pasted whole sheets with it, and worse yet to an unprimed wall, that is just EVIL!

Sometimes there is a way, but sometimes not. I have never used a sander to remove paste. Clay isn't that hard. But if you have something like the V2V, I would be sealing it and skimming the wall with taping compound.
Not a real easy DIY project. Getting a taper to do this for you ( after YOU correctly prime it- because they usually have no clue about that) would be money well spent.
Gymschu (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Certainly not clay paste. If you get it wet it will break down as brush said. Can you post a pic or 2. I am interested as to what it might be. If indeed it is vov paste( might as well be glue), it will break down eventually but it would be easier to go over it probably.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,304

BJ is right, the clay won't be "STRETCHY." It is usually a brownish yellow crusty looking mess that is on the walls. I was taking a shot in the dark. At this point, Startingover, you have tried just about everything to get this stuff off. I would cut my losses and put some Guardz primer on it, let it dry good and see if you have a decent substrate to work with. If it's not too bumpy, you have a sound surface to skim coat. Skim coating involves applying several thin coats of drywall joint compound and then sanding it down a bit to a good flat surface again. Dusty? Yes, but in the end you will have smooth walls again.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

deleted post. Just a bit of trouble posting photo

Last edited by Startingover; 10-09-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

Here's some pieces of the glue that came off my walls and these are about the biggest pieces I have. Later I'll get photos of the walls themselves which are horrendous.

As you can see this stuff stretches.

not wallpaper paste but stretchy tape-dscn0780.jpg

Last edited by Startingover; 10-09-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
the Musigician

Hope you don't mind, but I just merged the two threads to keep your questions in one place.

DM
Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #10

thanks. I figured someone helped me out. I appreciate it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Hmmm. I wonder if that isn't a real latexy paint, and not a paste at all...
Have a pic of it on the wall as you peel it?

Some cheap paints, particularly semi gross ( i mean gloss- slipped!) will be very rubbery like that.
chrisn (10-10-2012), DangerMouse (10-09-2012), Gymschu (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

That's what it is exactly^, who ever put the paper up did not prime and put it dirrectly on the semi gloss paint. You are going to have to seal it all down, skim and sand. I just got done doing that last week, not fun.:censore d:
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-10-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #13

there's no way I can 'skim coat'. Without knowing details I can just tell it would be beyond my limited skills.

I'm using DIF and applying more pressure as I scrape then I'll wash it with TSP, rinse, let dry and just paint the darn walls. I don't have the budget to hire anyone either.

I'll just have to live with it and maybe after I hang pictures and time passes it won't bother me too much. It's not like I have a choice.

I really, really really appreciate all the help on here. Thank you for listening to me and trying to guide me. A kitchen is such an important room and the hub of things so I'm sad that my walls won't look very nice, but there's worst things in the world so I won't let them bother me.

Advertisement

Last edited by Startingover; 10-11-2012 at 06:36 PM.