DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Not sure how to deal with this exterior wall paint job?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gymschu 
#1 ·
The end wall of our house is South facing and therefore gets all the sun in the summer and beaten by the wind and rain in the winter.

As you can see from the pictures there are numerous fine cracks in the wall.

The last couple of years I have just painted Leyland masonry paint onto the wall with a roller and it has looked ok-ish.

I went out today and hit it with the pressure washer to remove the loose and flaking paint.

What is the best way to fill/hide the cracks and then should I use some sort of primer before applying the masonry paint?

Is it worth using Pliolite resin paint instead of ordinary masonry paint?

Thanks for any replies.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would fill the cracks with caulk. It's hard to hide them completely, but a textured masonry caulk can work pretty well.

Mor-flex is good, it will remain flexible so it can move with any future expansion of the cracks.

To hide them better, fill the cracks once and allow the caulk to dry. It will shrink up some and show an indention. Fill then again and it should remain close to flush.

A masonry conditioner applied before the paint will seal the surface and allow for better top coat adhesion.

Seal Krete Original is one I like to use. SW Loxon masonry conditioner is another good one.

#3 · (Edited)
Loxon masonry primer and Sherlastic finish coat is great stuff from Sherwin-Williams.

As for the stucco repairs, I will allow someone with more experience in it to chime in. I've done the repairs a few times over the years using the typical fiberglas mesh and exterior grade rubberized cement but I'm sure there are better ways of doing it these days.

P.S. The difficulty in doing stucco repairs is the fact that you have to scrape quite a wide swath around the crack so that when the repair is done, it feathers in. Jmays approach with the caulking would eliminate have to do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.