Not Enough Paint In Parts? Now What? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Not enough paint in parts? Now what?

After reading 9 pages of posts and using search in this forum we could not find an answer so we are posting our question.

Q- Can I thin our brown latex paint a smidge with water (if so how do I do this correctly)...intentionally load my 3 inch roller lightly and just go over my poor coverage spots around doors and by the ceiling?

For the full story see below.

Having never painted a wall in our lives my husband and I decided to research before attempting the job of painting our room. What would take most people between a few hours or a day has taken us over a week. Now in all fairness a lot of it was research and info gathering..

Here's what we learnt:

Do not W, M or otherwise zig zag. (from what we have read here so far this was correct info though our initial sources said to W, M and zig zag)

Proper prep is important and makes the painting job much better (so we patched, sanded and washed throughly..after removing floor to ceiling wall paper...it was a scenery mural from the past owners )

Cutting in with a brush leaves a different finish than a roller

Keeping a wet edge is essential for best outcome

Do not load your roller too much (I took this a little to literally , hence my question)

So with newly bought supplies (the whole kit and kaboodle and then some) we finally painted.

I will upload pics, though from many I've seen on this site they look grainy and I'm not much of a pic/tech savvy person.

We watched this video and decided this is how we would paint. We thought it seemed like the best way..compared to most of what we had seen. Our only glitch was we have a popcorn ceiling so taping it wasn't an option. So, I took the cutting job and my husband did the main rolling.

Our problem (ok, mine) is that there are spots where I can see I did a poor job coverage wise. I didn't load my roller with enough paint...quite obviously. Now the room is finished but I am wanting (I do suffer a tad with profectionism) to go back and fix my lack of paint coverage. Can I do this? Can paint be thinned? Is it possible to do a few area's lightly and not have it turn out too dark after?

Getting another gallon of paint and recoating is an option but not what we want to do effort, money and time wise...we'd like to stop sleeping in the living room so we need to move on

Any advice is greatly appreciated. (even if it is to apply another coat, we want it done right)

Potenially helpful info: We used CIL paint with primer added. We used a 9 1/2 inch roller with 10 mm nap for the main rolling and I used a 4 inch roller and a sash brush to cut. Though probably not needed we did prime the whole room as well. The colour we used is a mid tone paint. Everything else about the job seems spot on except my poor coverage.
Attached Thumbnails
Not enough paint in parts? Now what?-_mg_4198.jpg   Not enough paint in parts? Now what?-_mg_4201.jpg   Not enough paint in parts? Now what?-_mg_4202.jpg  

Advertisement

strongCAbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Add about an oz of water to the can and mix well. Re do the bare spots and see what it looks like. If it is flat you should be good, if it is not flat, maybe not.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
strongCAbeauty (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

A brush and roller will always leave a different texture and quantity of paint, and the different textures will sometimes reflect color slightly differently (hatbanding). There's no way to avoid either. The most you can do is keep the rolled areas uniform out from the corners. Stop the roller at the same point across the top and bottom. It looks like you have a problem with coverage on the cut in. Just take a brush, not to wet, and lightly go around the areas. As Chrisn said, you may be fine. If you go to my blog, you'll find an article on cutting in without painters tape, and some external links to a series of articles about how to properly use a paint roller. Good Luck. BTW, it is an M or W pattern, just not literally.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
strongCAbeauty (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Add about an oz of water to the can and mix well. Re do the bare spots and see what it looks like. If it is flat you should be good, if it is not flat, maybe not.
Thanks so much for your response. It's eggshell..I forgot to mention that. Our understanding is that eggshell is just a hair above flat in sheen..so we could add water? Would you say the ratio is one ounce water to one gallon of paint? I ask because we do have paint left..however it's about 1/4 of a gallon.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
If you go to my blog, you'll find an article on cutting in without painters tape, and some external links to a series of articles about how to properly use a paint roller.
Thank you for your time. I did briefly check out your blog last night..I plan on returning this evening and I will be looking specifically for the roller articles
Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

so anyways it seems like you did home work. and it really don't look that bad .with that being said how many top coats did you put on? i think my understanding is you put 1 top coat on , if thats the case then that's normal ,i always do 2 top coats . 2 coats will make it perfect.about thinning your paint remember the color is the color it will never get darker than the color you chose now thinning paint is a technique to blend in spots and touch ups ,but i think you just need another coat.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
i think you just need another coat.
Thanks for saying it doesn't look that bad. Yes, we only did one top coat. I think you're right we need another top coat. I think that is the best solution
Old 10-14-2011, 04:41 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongCAbeauty View Post
Thanks for saying it doesn't look that bad. Yes, we only did one top coat. I think you're right we need another top coat. I think that is the best solution

Sorry, I did not catch that. yes, 2 coats will make it right. In which case I would NOT thin it.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

OH. You only did one coat. No wonder. Beauty, you were being unfairly hard on your results. You can't expect to get proper coverage with one coat, regardless of what the paint company or the store says.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

For future reference: add a conditioner that slows your drying time - then paint one entire wall at a time - that means brush your edges and then roll it on while the edges are still wet. Do this for each wall. Try to avoid letting paint dry and then rolling over it.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongCAbeauty View Post
Whoa - looks really good for only 1 topcoat. It's pretty much a given that you need 2. However, if you're running low on paint, you may be able to get by with another coat just on areas that are thin.

Good job!

Advertisement

DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior paint , painting problem , recoat , touch up