Noob Painting Questions - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Noob Painting Questions

I'm planning a major paint project for my house after December. We're going to paint the walls, and ceilings in the living room, dining room and kitchen first. The ceilings are white, but we're going to paint them again since they look like they really need a fresh coat.

We plan on putting crown molding in the living room and dining room, so I'm ok as far as painting the ceiling/wall there...but I'm curious about the kitchen. What's the best way to ensure I don't get the chocolate colored paint on the white ceiling? And we're also thinking about just removing baseboards, painting the wall, then painting the baseboards, letting everything dry, then putting it all back together. I know some places, I want to remove the baseboards because they've been chipped/scratched so I want to rework them and smooth them out before painting, and we've also flirted with the idea of a new baseboard that has some accent, possibly something that will go along with the crown molding. Looking for any advice to tackle this as it's going to really really help tie the rest of the house together once we're finished. We're also putting in wood floors possibly some time this year, so I want this all done before we even go shop for the flooring materials.

I appreciate the help/comments given and for all the advice that's given on these forums.

Advertisement

mark! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Noob Painting Questions

First off, if you are going to be refinishing wood floors, you do not want to yank, finish, and replace baseboards until that process is over. Floor sanders of even the more gentle orbital kind are nasty things and will just carve into the best of woodwork. And, with the baseboards off? You have a great chance of getting all the way to the edges.

Nice tools like real brushes and if you are new to painting? Tape and perhaps use other wider masking material. It will keep the chocolate color off the kitchen ceiling.

I am on lifetime crusade by the way to convince people that ceilings do not have to be white. It all dates back to the days when a single gas lamp was hung in the middle of the room because it was safer there and was the only available lighting availed in a room. What a stupid place to stick a modern lighting fixture in most rooms when you think about it.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 12-08-2009 at 12:14 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Noob Painting Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
First off, if you are going to be refinishing wood floors, you do not want to yank, finish, and replace baseboards until that process is over. Floor sanders of even the more gentle orbital kind are nasty things and will just carve into the best of woodwork. And, with the baseboards off? You have a great chance of getting all the way to the edges.

Nice tools like real brushes and if you are new to painting? Tape and perhaps use other wider masking material. It will keep the chocolate color off the kitchen ceiling.

Quote:
I am on lifetime crusade by the way to convince people that ceilings do not have to be white.
It all dates back to the days when a single gas lamp was hung in the middle of the room because it was safer there and was the only available lighting availed in a room. What a stupid place to stick a modern lighting fixture in most rooms when you think about it.
Yeah, for the life of me I don't understand why companies market and recommend cheap bright white ceiling paint. " It's just a ceiling don't need anything fancy." That may be true assuming you have a raincoat so as to not get completely splattered as you roll the cheap paint above your head. Besides that, who wants to put multiple coats on a ceiling and get a "stiff neck" ?

BTW.... I used some behr ceiling paint, and............. never mind.
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Noob Painting Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
BTW.... I used some behr ceiling paint, and............. never mind.
Very, very funny. I am tempted but will not even attempt to go down the Behr path with you...

Buy donuts at Dunkin Donuts, Big Macs at McDs, and a nice meal at a real, not chain restaurant, now and then. Buy paint from a paint store.

Last edited by user1007; 12-08-2009 at 01:48 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,236

Noob Painting Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Very, very funny. I am tempted but will not even attempt to go down the Behr path with you...

Buy donuts at Dunkin Donuts, Big Macs at McDs, and a nice meal at a real, not chain restaurant, now and then. Buy paint from a paint store.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Noob Painting Questions

We're not finishing wood floors, we'll be installing new wood floors at a later date. The people who had the home before us but down linoleum tiles and put them on the concrete floor, that's the floor we have in the living room...so yeah. The main reason we're repainting the living room ceiling is because we battled a small leak from the A/C unit backing up in the attic because a control module on the outside was stuck open..500 dollar electric bill because of it, so after I replaced that, leak fixed, there's going to be some re-texture work happening in that spot and will need some paint over it.

I used Behr paint in the garage, it was ok, but just ok, plus I was feeding that through a pneumatic paint gun. We're going to several paint stores in the area, I don't know anything about them but figured I'd go in to just talk to them and see how I feel afterwards. I know we have a Kelly Moore and Sherwin Williams close, what are some other good paint stores?

We do just want white ceilings in the living room, kitchen and dining room, but other rooms will vary. All of the accent wood work will be white so we think it will all tie in to the ceiling and rest of the room.
mark! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,236

Noob Painting Questions

Duron, Ben Moore, ICI, Pittsburgh, Murlo

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote