Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

No Luck Finding Old Paint

the previous owner of my house left no paint cans behind. i'm having a difficult time matching the eggshell color of the walls. i took a wall plate covered with it to sherwin williams and they couldn't get close to it. what are my options? i will try to contact the previous owner and see if they know. but if they won't respond, then what?

Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

You will need to pick a color and re paint. Or cut a piece out of the wall and have them match it. Why could they not match the plate?

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You will need to pick a color and re paint. Or cut a piece out of the wall and have them match it. Why could they not match the plate?
My Benjamin Moore dealer had an extremely accurate color analyzer that would scan just about anything and could certainly handle a painted switch plate and kick out paint formulae so I am curious why the store could not help you? Maybe they did not have one.

Do you have a scanner hooked to your computer or decent camera? If you post a picture of the color you want to replicate, I can provide you with the four closest color codes/names in major paint lines if that would help.

No magic to what I do in this regard. I just take a pixel from the scan or photograph with a free pixel grabber. I note the RGB (red, green, blue) numbers that comprise the color/hue. I feed them into the free system at www.easyrgb.com. I pick a real paint manufacturer (the system does not have box store brands) and four closest matches are popped back at me. All for free. I used to, and may again, get $150/hour for it with some other services bundled in. Now that I cannot spend my days painting anymore.

If this is a very light or dark color wall you are trying to match you have fading and other discoloration issues going on---inconsistent if the paint has been on for awhile---and you may be better off just sitting with the color books at the paint store and finding a new or closely matched one. A paint store should also be willing to lend you a color, offwhite, etc. fan deck. I and others like me can get you large swatches to try out. Your pro painter or paint store can too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
the previous owner of my house left no paint cans behind. i'm having a difficult time matching the eggshell color of the walls. i took a wall plate covered with it to sherwin williams and they couldn't get close to it. what are my options? i will try to contact the previous owner and see if they know. but if they won't respond, then what?
Most SW stores in my area have a color analyzing machine where they place the item infront of the eye and it produces a formula. Not sure why SW was not able to match your paint but it has happened. "Box stores" typically carry paints that have a pearlescent base to them which makes them difficult to match. Not saying that is your situation buy you never know. I'd try contacting the owner before you as you've mentioned. Or just pick a paint shade you like and make it your own.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Computerized color matching should be viewed as an assist to eye-matching. The formulas that are generated will get the dealer about 80% of the way. Most colors will have to be zeroed-in on from there to obtain an exact match. I suspect that S-W uses part-time help at some locations to protect their margins. I think the clerk was not trained for this service.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Paint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-11-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraniksPainting View Post
"Box stores" typically carry paints that have a pearlescent base to them which makes them difficult to match.
Come on bubba. You did not mean to type this. Those of us with some experience in dentistry have been using color analyzers, with all kinds of sheens, to make teeth for ages. Sheen has nothing to do with color/hue. Even at a paint store. The machines see only color. Suggesting a box store is grinding in oyster shells to toss off a color analyzer is Nonsense. Box store paints are total crap and the manufacturers certainly do not spend the money to add "pearlescence" but, perhaps on the label.

Last edited by user1007; 02-10-2012 at 10:45 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Come on bubba. You did not mean to type this. Those of us with some experience in dentistry have been using color analyzers, with all kinds of sheens, to make teeth for ages. Sheen has nothing to do with color/hue. Even at a paint store. The machines see only color. Suggesting a box store is grinding in oyster shells to toss off a color analyzer is Nonsense. Box store paints are total crap and the manufacturers certainly do not spend the money to add "pearlescence" but, perhaps on the label.
I never said anything about sheen but I know one thing for sure, there is something about those box store paints that is throwing off the analyzer. There have been half a dozen paint colors that I could not get mixed. Not sure why. Maybe the machine was miscalibrated. Go get a pearlescent base and try to have the color matched. You'll see. Not trying to argue or mislead anyone. Only speaking by experience.

Last edited by BraniksPainting; 02-11-2012 at 09:16 AM.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
A color-match machine is only going to be as good as the person running it. But even with a really good color match, you'll always be able to see where new paint is feathered into the old.

Since you're buying new paint anyway, and since you'll always be able to see patched in paint, why not just go ahead and repaint the whole room?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
A color-match machine is only going to be as good as the person running it. But even with a really good color match, you'll always be able to see where new paint is feathered into the old.

Since you're buying new paint anyway, and since you'll always be able to see patched in paint, why not just go ahead and repaint the whole room?
Exactly.......just borrow a fan pack of colors from SW or Benny Moore and you will get very, very close. Like others have said, it's pretty common these days to have computer color matching in every REAL paintstore. And, each store usually has a "color matching guru" who can match colors by eye. Use all of those resources & you can get an almost perfect match.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,086

If your just trying to do some repairs on walls that have not been painted in many years, even if you had some of the old paint it would not likly be a perfect match. Over time the paint color changes slightly.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Have no idea if this works or not, just showed up in an e-mail the other day but it may be worth a shot

http://letschipit.com/

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote