Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Nice piece

I've done some small scale furniture re-finishing, and lots of finishing new wood and cabinets but nothing quite like this.
An old customer brought this
Piece to my shop yesterday. It's not a super old antique, the company was around till 1963 so it could be as young as 50 yrs.
The customer asked for minimal restoration since the finish is actually in good shape. She suggested linseed oil (boiled). I'm wondering if oil will really do anything though, considering its finished already. I thought about using oil on the insides of the drawers and the box which are raw still. The inside is all pretty dry and could use some conditioning.

There are some minor nicks/scratches to touch up with stain. My main question is; can I use a rub on varnish, or possibly spray lacquer as a top coat to even out the nicks without affecting its potential value as an antique?
Even though its not that old, the customer is very concerned about maintaining originality, she wouldn't be against a top coat if it would not diminish the potential value.
I have searched this topic, but its hard to find a clear cut answer, and I have heard some hearsay stories about people ruining antiques so I'm being cautious.
Anyone have exp. with this? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Nice piece-image-2265285630.jpg   Nice piece-image-3283987072.jpg   Nice piece-image-545182487.jpg   Nice piece-image-2040160535.jpg  

Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nice piece

If you can find this stuff- it's easy and amazing.
http://www.pearsondistributing.com/A...m?1=1&CartID=0

Jmayspaint (05-27-2013)