Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

newly painted drywall looks good but...

My wife noticed an area that I must have missed when I sanded it. It's not horrible but there are 2 small lines of joint compound that were missed in the middle of the wall. I did the proper prep/prime work with Zin and 2 coated using SuperPaint. It came out great. Would it be OK to lightly sand those lines out and touch up or would it create more of a mess on the wall? I know it's not ideal to sand on latex.

Thanks.

mjarema414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

If you can live with it, don't mess with it. Yes, you can sand it, reprime it, and repaint it, but its' gonna show up on your wall as a different looking spot unless you repaint the entire wall.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (03-20-2012), ltd (03-19-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #3

It happens to the best of us MJ. Two points I would make. First, feel. Anytime I sand anything, one hand is sanding and the other is feeling. Your hand is not going to miss something your eye might. You would be amazed at the number of painters I've encountered for who that is not a default action. Both in finding defects on substrates and verifying your sanding effort, feel is important.
Touch up. I tell my guys and customers alike, get touch up out of your head, it doesn't exist. The number of paints that "touch up" and the situations that will touch up are so miniscule as to be non-existent. Far more often than not, you're repainting entire walls, if you're not inclined to trade one glitch for another. That said, of course you attempt to before you repaint an entire wall, and keep your fingers crossed.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-20-2012), Jay 78 (03-21-2012), ltd (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Joe, great advice about "feel". It does take a bit of extra effort, but, my oh my, it saves countless hours in the long run.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
It happens to the best of us MJ. Two points I would make. First, feel. Anytime I sand anything, one hand is sanding and the other is feeling. Your hand is not going to miss something your eye might. You would be amazed at the number of painters I've encountered for who that is not a default action. Both in finding defects on substrates and verifying your sanding effort, feel is important.
Touch up. I tell my guys and customers alike, get touch up out of your head, it doesn't exist. The number of paints that "touch up" and the situations that will touch up are so miniscule as to be non-existent. Far more often than not, you're repainting entire walls, if you're not inclined to trade one glitch for another. That said, of course you attempt to before you repaint an entire wall, and keep your fingers crossed.
Thanks for that. It's something that I did not do. Looks like we'll have to live with it. I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's just disappointing when the rest of the wall looks so good.
mjarema414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Joe, great advice about "feel". It does take a bit of extra effort, but, my oh my, it saves countless hours in the long run.
Exactly, how much does a missed nail pop cost, in time and effort, when found between finish coats, or worse, after the final coat? Answer: A lot more than they cost during the initial prep.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote