Newly Painted Ceiling Paint Cracking-Help! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

newly painted ceiling paint cracking-Help!

I recently removed popcorn off of a ceiling in three rooms, than I sanded the ceilings. After that I evened the ceiling surface by applying drywall mud, and than sanded again. After that I painted a latex paint and after two days I did my final coat of paint with Benjamin Moore waterborne ceiling paint. After a day or so the paint began to crack in certain areas only in our dining room ceiling. I should also note that this room had previously endured a water leak in one area and currently there is a water leak above the windows coming from the balcony above.
I am in the process of sanding the spots that have cracked but am worried about this happening again and not sure how I should progress with finishing these spots so my ceiling can be finished. Help!

Advertisement

Basia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

newly painted ceiling paint cracking-Help!

Two things occur to me: the possibility of water damage and use of a primer. The cracking is probably due to some movement of the ceiling caused by changes in moisture level and/or improper priming. Water leaks can be insidious in their ability to hide where they originate from and improper priming may cause all sorts of surface paint problems - let alone a popcorn removal job.

All I can think of as I don't know enough to say "your problem will go away using product ABC". Never happens that way. Investigate the leak before you go any further.

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote