Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #1

Share |
Talking

newcomer, staining a table

hello, this is my first post on here, i found you guys purely by accident.

I bought the house i grew up in and will have a lot of questions in the future, i am a major diy'er., i've never stained wood before and currently i want to stain my dinner table black.

its a great table, solid wood, rectangle and large, no chairs to speak of, i will be buying chairs to compliment the stain, so they are not an issue.

the table is already stained a medium wood color, but its old, and there is slight paint damage from several other projects, by this i mean splatters and sharpie marker accidents, however slight, are very real and a concern.I have decided black will work best for the color scheme, and will better camoflage any past and future whoopsies (which i have many for i am a mother of two crafty females), i'll number my questions

1.do i need to sand it down?(and by what means, by hand or machine
2.do i have to buy a stain or can i just dilute a latex semigloss paint?
3. If i want the grain to show through how many coats should i risk?
4. should i sand down the legs even though i don't mind them being one solid color?
5. Can i make my own stain another way, like with charcoal and vinegar?
6.is it completely necessary to seal it, and with what?

thank you in advance for your help, i love doing things myself, but with a little help from my friends

500nets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
NAV

newcomer, staining a table

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500nets View Post
hello, this is my first post on here, i found you guys purely by accident.

1.do i need to sand it down?(and by what means, by hand or machine
If you plan on using a stain you have to strip 100% of the existing coating. Stain is designed to penetrate into the wood not sit on top of an existing coating.
2.do i have to buy a stain or can i just dilute a latex semigloss paint?
If you want to paint it you only have to sand it. I would not recommend a latex unless you are considering some type of latex epoxy. you most likely will loose the wood grail if you paint to the manufactures recommended thickness - and if you dont apply the material thick enough it will fail.
3. If i want the grain to show through how many coats should i risk?
black stain will take at least 2 coats after the wood is stripped. apply the material let it sit a long time (not long enough to dry completely) rag it off and apply a second coat and let that sit for a long time, rag it off. continue until you have the color you want. let it dry for 24 to 48 hours and clear coat.
4. should i sand down the legs even though i don't mind them being one solid color?
depends on the material you choose to use. paint is just sand, stain is strip.
5. Can i make my own stain another way, like with charcoal and vinegar?
NO
6.is it completely necessary to seal it, and with what?
Interior Stains are not finish coats. You have to seal it with polyurethane or spar varnish. 2 - 3 coats with sanding in between.
There are paints available that go on thin and leave the wood grain behind. the problem is that they are not available to homeowners. the VOC content is so high that they are shop apply only. I would recommend just buying a new table.

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote