Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newby painting over existing fascia, beadboard

Hi all,

I just introduced myself in the introductions forum, but now I'd like to get down to business.

My husband and I will be buying a contemporary 1970's house soon and it needs a lot of love.

It needs gutters, but I'd like to get the exterior painted first. It is currently a yellowy tan with (gross) brown trim. I'd like to paint it a light beige with (sophisticated) brown trim. I should also mention a good portion of the exterior is a stone facade (hopefully this will make my job easier!).

I want to be sure I'm prepping correctly, choosing the right paints, and maintaining the exterior properly. So here are my questions!

- I'll be replacing some rotted fascia boards, what are the best steps to take with this? Paint before installing? Installing then painting? Is there any specific primer or sealer I should use before painting?

- I'll be painting over existing painted fascia. Is just a light sanding and caulking needed as prep? Is there a way to clean the fascia without taking it down? What is the best brand/type/finish of paint to use?

- I'll be painting existing bead board. I think it's called bead board. It looks like that, anyway. Do I need to sand/caulk/clean?

- For maintenance, do I just need to repaint every 5 years or so?

Thanks for any and all help!
Taylor

appledeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

Your best bet would be to power wash, dry, scrape any loose,peeling paint,sand,clean dust,oil prime,apply finish coats.Any quality exterior paint will work. I would go with BM Aura if it were mine.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

A couple of questions:

- Can I use a power sander, or do I need to sand by hand?

- The house was built in 1978. Should I be concerned about lead paint when I am sanding?
appledeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

- Can I use a power sander, or do I need to sand by hand? You could if need be.

- The house was built in 1978. Should I be concerned about lead paint when I am sanding? No
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote