DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Newby painting over existing fascia, beadboard

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just introduced myself in the introductions forum, but now I'd like to get down to business.

My husband and I will be buying a contemporary 1970's house soon and it needs a lot of love.

It needs gutters, but I'd like to get the exterior painted first. It is currently a yellowy tan with (gross) brown trim. I'd like to paint it a light beige with (sophisticated) brown trim. I should also mention a good portion of the exterior is a stone facade (hopefully this will make my job easier!).

I want to be sure I'm prepping correctly, choosing the right paints, and maintaining the exterior properly. So here are my questions!

- I'll be replacing some rotted fascia boards, what are the best steps to take with this? Paint before installing? Installing then painting? Is there any specific primer or sealer I should use before painting?

- I'll be painting over existing painted fascia. Is just a light sanding and caulking needed as prep? Is there a way to clean the fascia without taking it down? What is the best brand/type/finish of paint to use?

- I'll be painting existing bead board. I think it's called bead board. It looks like that, anyway. Do I need to sand/caulk/clean?

- For maintenance, do I just need to repaint every 5 years or so?

Thanks for any and all help!
Taylor

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.