Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Newbie painter at a spray paint job - flakes??

hello dudes and dudettes! i'm in a bad need of direction.

I'd bought pieces of galvanized steel, a few angle brackets, aluminum u-channels, and metal shelf support pieces.

I used Rust-Oleum High Heat Enamel Spray cuz i'm building a housing where within there will be high radiant heat.

I spray painted outside, there was a lil wind but i didn't think much of it, and the 1st coat looked great, i even applied a second coat on the galvanized metal squares within 15mins of 1st coat.

Left everything outside for 1-2hrs, then i brought everything inside to dry, i've left it here for 72hrs, the paint looks dry, and it is to an initial touch - but when i rub my finger on it then it comes off (not enough to see the metal though).

So i used extra fine sanding paper and i went at it. The paint looked duller, which is prob good, but still didn't get to the metal and thought that was a good sign something is sticking on.

So i thought it could be the humidity (we've been drenched day in day out), but everything has been indoors. I read last night somewhere that radiant heat may help the paint to adhere. So overnight i used a MH lamp about 10" from the walls of the assembled setup, ran it over night, the metal was pretty warm to touch after the 1st 30mins of use - it's 8hrs now.

So i turned the bulb off to test if this had had any effect. Well - used a paper towl and particles came off again! i've no idea what this means. Plz help!

The dimensions of the semi-box i'd built are 16" x 17" x 13" so this is not a giant area for the amount of radiant heat i was throwing at it!

synkronized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

It sounds like your job may have required primer... does the can mention anything about that? Also, was the surface absolutely squeaky clean prior to the application of the paint? (As in, no sheet metal grease residues)

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

hi! thx for replying! the surface did look pretty clean - it was new items that were pretty much untouched - but now u mention metal grease - i didn't feel it but it was possibly there.

The can did say not to use a primer though.

I've a shocking result - just went to try and srcub paint off on my hand again to verify - and i think the overnight MH bulb had done its job! maybe it just took the time for the metal to cool down after i'd turned it off - cuz this morning right before turning it off the paint came off in my hand. YES YES YES! :D
synkronized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Did you use a self etching primer before you painted it? Galvi will not hold paint unless you do. A quick wipe down with vinegar works well to.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote