Newbie Needs Help - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie Needs Help

Hi all! My fiances and I are closing on our first home Friday and need to rip wall paper down and paint all the walls. The wall paper seems to want to come off easy for us, lucky us. We were looking at paints at some stores and decided to go with homedepot. I noticed that they have 5 gallon buckets of primer and flat white for $44 each.

We are on a budget, so we really dont want to spend too much. Any suggestions for staying under $100 on the paint and getting good quality?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

kyomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

Newbie Needs Help

Your going to get what you pay for. If you want primer that will not cover stain, goes on like milk, will take two coats to cover the wall then buy cheap primer.

If you want the job to go faster, take less coats and last longer on the walls then do not cheap out.
Use Zinzeer 123 primer then paint. DO not waist your money on primer and paint in one. It's just not going to happen it.
Do not buy cheap paint brushes. One Purdy brand 2-1/2" sash brush if properly cleaned ever time you use it will last for far longer, the brisles will not fall out, they hold more paint, and leave less brush marks.
Buy cheap rollers and your walls will be covered with fuzz.
Learn how to cut in the trim with just a brush and no tape, it's expencive, paint always finds it's way behind it, may peel the paint or drywall paper off the wall, and makes a mess taking it back off.
Clean all the walls and ceiling first, Use a sanding pole a sanding pad and screen cloth to go over all the walls. That way you can find all the flaws and old paint drips. Wipe the walls down again then your ready for primer.
Skip these steps and the paint will not stick as well and you'll have to be doing all this over again far sooner.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Newbie Needs Help

First off, after you remove the paper. Clean and sand the old paste off. Then either prime with Gardz or an oil based primer the $44 primer will NOT lock down any residual paste and there WILL be some left over. I could go on about using $44 a 5 paint but it is just no use, you will get a job that looks like $9 a gal paint should.My advise would be to forget the big box store and go to a real paint store where quality paint is sold. It is your home, right? Do you want it to look like a trailer trash house or something you are proud of?
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Newbie Needs Help

You have more than one fiance?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,304

Newbie Needs Help

Ditto to what everyone has told you. Use the search feature......it is your friend on here. Tons of info. As for paint, well, my guess is you'll be back here listening to all of us say, "I told you so." On a budget? How much do you really save with the cheap paint? It will take more time, more paint, and more patience to make the cheap stuff work. Not saying it can't be done, but, beware! If you really are bent on using cheap paint my advice is simple........go to Wal-Mart......that's as cheap as you're gonna find it & it isn't the worst paint in the world.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Newbie Needs Help

If you have a whole house to do- do it one room at time as budget and time allow, and do it right.
It is always a huge mountain to climb to think I have to do the whole place- - just like any job, prioritize and do one- learn stuff- move to the next.
The place to really not skimp is on woodwork and trim. You can fairly easily change the walls, but the trim will take you many times longer, and once done won't need to be changed nearly as often if done with a quality durable paint.
Gymschu (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Newbie Needs Help

Thanks for the help folks, i was going to pay cash, i did not want to use credit, thats why i was on a budget, but what i think i'll do is charge the paint and primer and pay for everything else cash.

And no, i dont have more than 1 fiance, lol
Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Newbie Needs Help

Good for you for making a wise decision. I always tell my customers when looking at a bare substrate, "You only have one chance to do it right." Everyone here has given you sound advice; you will do well to follow it.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #9

Newbie Needs Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
Good for you for making a wise decision. I always tell my customers when looking at a bare substrate, "You only have one chance to do it right." Everyone here has given you sound advice; you will do well to follow it.
well i ended up taking the advice of someone and bought the 5 gal kilz2 primer for $80 and bought (6) shed free rollers and a bunch of other stuff. spent about $150 and i dont even have the main colors yet lol oh well
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Newbie Needs Help

Whether you do it as a DIYer, or I do it as a pro- to get a quality job takes essentially the same eqiupment and products.
The difference is with experience you learn to reuse by cleaning well and just what does what the best.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Newbie Needs Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyomagi View Post
Hi all! My fiances and I are closing on our first home Friday and need to rip wall paper down and paint all the walls. The wall paper seems to want to come off easy for us, lucky us. We were looking at paints at some stores and decided to go with homedepot. I noticed that they have 5 gallon buckets of primer and flat white for $44 each.

We are on a budget, so we really dont want to spend too much. Any suggestions for staying under $100 on the paint and getting good quality?

Thanks in advance
Where I live here in PA, it seems every other home has wall paper that needs to be removed. I don't use any chemical to remove wall paper. I use hot water PERIOD? I put hot water in a sprayer that you would use to treat weeds with. Soak the walls (about 6' section). Keep soaking it ahead of you while you remove a section. After the wall paper is off, use a Red Scotchbrite pad and warm water and scrub the glue off. Then use a sponge and a bucket of clean water and wipe that section clean. Repeat as many times as needed. The key it to keep the wall paper ahead of you, wet!
If you think you are going to paint a whole house/apartment with $100.00 of paint, you are sadly mistaking. <Not trying to sound rude or ignorant. Just saying.

Advertisement

BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote