Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Deck Staining Pro

Share |

Newbie Interior painting question

By the way, thank you to everyone here for all the great info. I stain decks for a living but never done much painting. I'm in my off season so I'm tackling painting the interior of my own home, did a lot of reading on old threads!

What I couldn't figure out is if I can cut in one day and roll the next day? I'd like to do all the cutting in (around crown, baseboards, windows, etc) one day and roll everything the following day. Or do I need to keep a wet edge. The paint is SW Cashmere Flat if it makes a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bringing New life to Old Wood"
bigchaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Yes it makes a difference. To my knowledge ( and I am not fond of SW- so I am biased..) it is only the new tints like Gennex ( BM) that let you do that.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Deck Staining Pro

Forgive my confusion, are you saying I do or do not need to keep a wet edge when cutting and rolling a wall?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Wet edge... well- you are using cashmere.So I am not sure. But with BM's aura you need to pay some attention. But you can cut in and roll (tight) later. In fact it is the recommended way with gennex products.. SW does not have that tint system.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 12-30-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Deck Staining Pro

That was my original question. I would like to cut in with a brush on all my walls on Monday and roll them on Tuesday. Is that OK or did you say I can only do that with BM paint?

*Edit, thank you for the clarification...beat me to the post.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #6

Chaz, in twenty five years of painting I've never worried about keeping a wet edge when cutting in and rolling. Yes, when rolling from one tray dip to the next. Since some paints can literally be too tacky to go back into within a minute or less, how does one maintain a wet edge square? It's not possible. One guy would never be able to paint a room by himself worrying about keeping a wet cut edge and a wet edge during the rolling.
I've listened to this debate since day one, and I've had it a few times on jobs, but no one, in spite of their trying, has ever been able to show me how it has hurt my work or my job.
My routine is to always cut an entire room then roll.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #7

With a flat paint I am gonna vote that it doesn't really matter. In the old days, the standard was to cut in ONE wall at a time, keeping a wet edge, and then rolling into the wet edge to avoid laps/holidays, etc. Nowadays, I'm like Joe, just cut in the whole room and then roll. The newer paints are forgiving and rarely do you see lap marks like the old days. And, hopefully you are doing 2 coats and then it really doesn't matter, IMO.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
ltd

when using cashmere, I always cut and roll. Cut about 6 feet then roll. I never have a problem with hat banding or lap marks .this is how I roll get it
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #9

It probably doesn't make any diff with the new stuff but old habits are hard to break.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-31-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #10

i just painted my living/dining room. i rolled it, then cut it. can not tell when just standing looking at. i used satin.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Deck Staining Pro

Well got it all finished up, thanks again for all the help. I ended doing all the crown and window molding in white first, then I cut in for the wall color. I was going to cut and roll but the wall paint dried as quick as I could move the ladder.

I cut in everything twice and then I rolled the wall twice (after it dried again) and touched up the trim and did the baseboards.

Came out really nice, looks much better than I expected (I think flat paint really helps). The SW Cashmere was very easy to use.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #12

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #13

Agree with gymschu, especially with flat paint it won't matter.

Ideally, you'd want a wet edge. But today's paints dry so fast, it's not practical for one person to really maintain a wet edge. Even with 2 people, while possible, it can quickly turn into a Three Stooges episode.

What does make a difference is how you feather in that cut. If you just brush it and leave a high edge, you will notice that. Feather out your cut edge and you'll be fine.

Another thing that makes a difference is the texture difference caused between brush and roller. The more sheen the paint has the more this can be noticeable. That's why I try to roll as close to the edge as I can with the roller, even if my cut-in is 6" wide I'd try to roll up to an inch of the ceiling or trim if possible. I can't think of a case where it would be less noticeable than Flat Cashmere though.

Last edited by jeffnc; 01-03-2013 at 07:33 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote