Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #1

Share |

Newbie at Exterior Painting

Our house we have lived in for 7yrs is stained wood siding. It's in need of re-doing and I do not care for the color. Have been told at the home improvement store that I can paint over it with a primer/paint combo paint. Any one have any experience with painting over stain? Powerwash first? A budget friendly primer paint? Of course Home Depot recommends Behr, Menards - Dutch Boy and Lowe's Valspar. Not sure which way to turn. Not feesible to hire someone - will be a DIY project.
Thanks for the help.

stutzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Go to a real paint store and ask.

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #3

I think the jury is still out on that combo paint+primer, all-in-one, save yourself time and money stuff and most of what I have read on the subject says it's a gimmick. Sure, it goes on like a paint - but is such a mediocre product in tough situations - sort of like what you describe - that I wouldn't try it especially not under harsh conditions of rain, sun and wind. It probably won't hold up and you'll be back here next year this time wondering what went wrong. The Behr guy won't tell you that, he's trying to earn a sale.

But before you decide one way or the other, talk to paint companies like B-Moore or S-Williams. They have better products for iffy situations, and it'll cost you nothing to get the lowdown on how to solve your particular problem.

I'm not purposely knocking Behr - but from what I've read the technology may be OK for interiors - but considering the investment of time in doing an outside, I'd spend the extra $ and get the best I could afford to do it the fewest times I needed to.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #4

Why not just re-stain it in a color you like? If it has been stained, it is less complicated and less costly to just re-stain. Today's stain formulas can be mixed in hundreds of different colors.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote