Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #1

Share |

New use for motor oil

I use Dynaflex 230 latex caulk, and I find I use it in very small quantities frequently throughout the year, mostly for sponge caulking wood moldings and filling nail holes in wood trim.

I thought that I'd point out how I keep it from drying out once the tip has been cut off the caulking tube. I simply cut the top off an empty milk jug, pour some engine oil into that jug and store the caulking tube upside down with it's cut tip immersed under about an inch of engine oil.

In that situation, the caulk can't dry out because water can't evaporate from the caulk into the oil. There is no affinity between water and oil, so the moisture remains inside the caulk, and it doesn't dry out. Whenever I want to use any latex caulk, I just pull the tube out, wipe the oil off the nozzle, and it's ready to go, even if it's been stored for a year or more.

I figured the painters in here that use latex caulk would want to know a good way of storing it.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
fhi vinyl windows

New use for motor oil

Good suggestion.

On a side note: you can buy your Dynaflex in a squeeze tube that comes with a cap. Granted the cap will be lost within a minute of taking it off the first time so your oil idea can then work.

fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Doer of Many Things

New use for motor oil

Newborn and other companies make caps you can snap on your tubes. I've got tubes over a year old with these on them and they are good to go when opened. A little squeeze to get about a 1/4" of dry caulk out of the tip and the rest is smooth as can be.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #4

New use for motor oil

Right now I'm trying to find a way to store opened tubes of Kop-R-Lastic caulking, which is a synthetic rubber. It won't store with the tip under oil, and it won't store with the tip under water, and it won't even store when I dip the end of the opened tube in molten candle wax.

What I'm trying now is to use a "sacrificial nozzle". I use a brand new unused and uncut nozzle from DAP silicone caulk and fill that with Kop-R-Lastic caulk. Then I press that filled nozzle over the cut real nozzle so that the Kop-R-Lastic in the sacrificial nozzle has to cure before the stuff in the real nozzle starts to cure. I figure this will buy me at least several months until I need to use Kop-R-Lastic next. I'm hopeful that this idea will work since the silicone nozzle wedges over the real nozzle tightly, thereby making the area through which solvent can evaporate out of the Kop-R-Lastic in the sacrificial nozzle small, and that means it'll take a long time for that caulk to cure. Also, once I pull the sacrificial nozzle off, I can always let the caulk in it cure and then remove it with a long thin screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers cuz it doesn't stick well to the polyethylene plastic of the nozzle.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
SNC

New use for motor oil

thats interesting.
those caps help but dont always work.
SNC is offline   Reply With Quote