DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New Topcoat on Painted Concrete Basement Floor

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Grants Painting 
#1 ·
Ok, my wife and I will be looking to freshen up the rec room in the home we just purchased. The floor has a nasty carpet on it when we moved in which we promptly discarded. Under it was a smooth, grey painted floor. unfortunately there were a couple spots where they used some carpet glue, some chalk and marker spots, and some spots that were dirty from wear, since th carpet used was thin and had no padding.

I would like to top coat this with either an Epoxy (preferred) or another coat or two of floor paint.

As for the condition of the current paint, aside from what was mentioned above, there is no peeling of the paint. I would estimate the age of the paint as being put down sometime in the mid-70's to early 80's based on the remnant of mustard yellow shag carpet I found under the built in bar, which had good paint under it. Coincidentally, the only holes in the concrete are several small ones from where the bar was removed and they had nailed it into the concrete. Because of this, I am going to say it is safe to assume that there is not a water issue in the slab.

What would be the best Epoxy or floor paint to use on this, and what prep should be done before coating it?

I will get a picture of the floor later on when I get home.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like BM's epoxy reinforced Latex floor paint.
- It isn't real slick- more like an eggshell finish
- easy to apply, dries pretty quick- self priming
- Durable- but easy to touch up if needed

Vacuum- wash well, vacuum, and then vacuum again. Its amazing how bits will still get away from you.

#3 ·
I would agree with Brushjockey and go with the latex BM. Two things you don't need in a basement rec room, an ice hockey rink in socks, and a serious hazmat situation in winter with pilot lights ablaze.
The washing will be the hardest part. But, if the floor has been carpeted forever, do you need to wash?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.