New SW Store Opening Nearby - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

New SW Store Opening Nearby

Just learned that a new Sherwin Williams Paint Store is opening about a mile from my house. So much closer than all the way across the city...

I hope the management at this store is better than the one I've previously tried to work with, and the employees more knowledgeable.

This could be a very good thing.

Advertisement

DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,272

I hope so too Dr. Hicks. I have been blessed with my local SW store which is about 12 miles away. The store has had the SAME manager since 1978! Most of the full-time employees have been there for years as well which makes it nice for getting waited on and knowledge of the trade is very high. In fact, this store is a training store for new employees of SW stores within a 50 mile radius. I know this is the exception, not the rule for many SW stores.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,648

My local store is also good and a good place to g with problems, I have also been in some where I didn't trust their advice. Hoe you get a good one it can really make life easier.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

My local SW store changes employees 1-2 times a year. I have complained to the regional store manager about poor service and employees that haven't been properly trained to know the products. Coincidentally, my next door neighbor's wife is the secretary to the president of SW here in Cleveland. I mention it to her a couple of times a year, hoping it gets to the president, but so far, no changes at the local store. There is a SW commercial store a few miles further in the opposite direction. I find that they have much more knowledgable employees, plus a much wider range of products.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hicks, we have been at odds at times but this is a good thing. Personally I would have preferred news of a Ben Moore store but its parent is now screwing over independent dealers thanks to Harvard MBAs too.

I have no issue painting with SW paints. I too have had problems with poorly trained corporate types brought in to sell to consumers and not the trades though.

Define what you need of the store Hicks. Management of any store (of any kind) cannot be responsive to its customer needs if it does not know them.

I know you do a lot of renovation work. Why not tell the new manager about it and see what discount structure he will cut for you.

You know with a SW store so close, the deal you are about to cut with the manager and all? You will never be tempted to buy and preach Behr again right?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,648

I really am old school but for the life of me I will never understand putting untrained and people without the knowledge of product, where they will come in contact with people. It used to be these people would serve an apprenticeship for lack of a better word. They would be in the back stacking paint,sweeping floors, mixing paint, delivering paint. And they would do this until they knew the products and policies then they would be allowed to work the counter under supervision. And it's not just paint companies I have seen some of the rudest most obnoxious people placed in positions where they deal with the public, better known as customers.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-31-2013), user1007 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Personally, I have switched to PPG as I have found SW products to be overly priced, even with my discount.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Hicks, we have been at odds at times but this is a good thing. Personally I would have preferred news of a Ben Moore store but its parent is now screwing over independent dealers thanks to Harvard MBAs too.

I have no issue painting with SW paints. I too have had problems with poorly trained corporate types brought in to sell to consumers and not the trades though.

Define what you need of the store Hicks. Management of any store (of any kind) cannot be responsive to its customer needs if it does not know them.

I know you do a lot of renovation work. Why not tell the new manager about it and see what discount structure he will cut for you.

You know with a SW store so close, the deal you are about to cut with the manager and all? You will never be tempted to buy and preach Behr again right?
That's my plan. I'm going to go in and talk with them, see what they've got, what kind of account they're willing to set me up on. I'm hopeful that, being a new store, they've really hungry for business.

On the other hand, if they're going to have a 19-year old bonehead manning the counter, I can go to Home Depot and get that.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I really am old school but for the life of me I will never understand putting untrained and people without the knowledge of product, where they will come in contact with people. It used to be these people would serve an apprenticeship for lack of a better word. They would be in the back stacking paint,sweeping floors, mixing paint, delivering paint. And they would do this until they knew the products and policies then they would be allowed to work the counter under supervision. And it's not just paint companies I have seen some of the rudest most obnoxious people placed in positions where they deal with the public, better known as customers.
The ONE good thing about the bad housing market in recent years, is that (oddly enough) there have actually been some skilled tradesmen working at my nearby Home Depot - especially during slow seasons. I got to know one guy who had been a professional tiler for 20+ years until his knees gave out. Another one was a professional union plumber. Extremely knowledgeable. It really sucked for them to be working there, but it was pretty great to go bat ideas around with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
The ONE good thing about the bad housing market in recent years, is that (oddly enough) there have actually been some skilled tradesmen working at my nearby Home Depot - especially during slow seasons. I got to know one guy who had been a professional tiler for 20+ years until his knees gave out. Another one was a professional union plumber. Extremely knowledgeable. It really sucked for them to be working there, but it was pretty great to go bat ideas around with them.
Lost your logic Hicks. And you are back, hyping Home Desperate right?

Last edited by user1007; 07-31-2013 at 08:16 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Maybe you'll get lucky and a couple expirenced managers will transfer from another store.

I've got it pretty good as far as the local SWs around here. The ones in either direction of me have knowledgeable staffs that have been there a good while.

On the flip side, the one in a city about an hr away that I work in sometimes, is manned by mostly clueless clerks.

I'm not to impressed with SW's mid, and contractor line paints. I hardly ever use them for normal residential.(I do like Emerald)
But for specialty paints, or industrial coatings, its my go to store.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Lost your logic Hicks. And you are back, hyping Home Desperate right?
Lost your reading ability?

Advertisement