Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

New SheetRock -- Quality Sealer\Primer

I just finished gutting a "soon-to-be" dining room and have hung\mudded\sanded new drywall on the walls, but was lucky (or depending upon your viewpoint unlucky) to save\keep the ceiling intact.

Anyway, my questions:
  1. Has anyone used Pittsburgh Paints Speedhide Interior Latex Sealer - Quick Drying? If so, any feedback would be great...
  2. Next since the ceiling is not new, current finish is what appears to be a primer, or maybe a flat white, but in any case, would this primer be sufficient to use on that surface as well as the new drywall?
Thanks a bunch for your responses?

Joe

WorkOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

speedhide is well known and used a lot. It's popular and acceptable for your applications. (ceiling too).

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have used, continue to use, and can strongly recommend that product for both your applications

Although the Speed Hide is technically a "contractor grade" line (less than premium), the Interior Latex Sealer performs as well as, or better than other premium line products for similar applications (new drywall)

It performs well enough for me to use and recommend to use on even high-end projects

Although SHILS works best on new drywall, and technically there may be better primer/sealers for the ceiling, unless the ceiling has other issues, it will work just fine there too
Personally I would not buy a separate primer for the ceiling in this case, whether for a job or for my own home
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I had heard that this stuff was really good for its sealing and "hiding" qualities, and since the new drywall was put up by me, I can certainly stand to benefit from both.

Hey SlickShift while I have you, I had always been a bargain shopper when painting in the past, but since this room has been gutted and is all new construction I really want it to come out looking great. What is your recoomendation for paint on top of this? I have learned that spending extra on paint truly saves you in the long run.

Thanks Again fellas...
WorkOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkOnIt View Post
What is your recoomendation for paint on top of this? I have learned that spending extra on paint truly saves you in the long run.
Absolutely true
The better quality paints generally save you money in the short run too
That is, especially if you value your time
Many DIYers don't count that, and it's a shame

Personally I'd much rather spend one weekend morning painting my bathroom, then the whole weekend and save $10, if you know what I mean
(ironic because most DIYers that say they hate painting and want to do it as little as possible generally buy the cheaper paints and cheap themselves into more time painting more often...thus hating painting even more)

The better paints will generally go up quicker, better looking, take less coats, last longer, more dirt resistant and cleanable...etc...

Ben Moore's Regal line, Pittsburgh's Manor Hall line, or Sherwin Williams premium lines (though I find the Super Paint line very runny) are all good choices I can recommend
They all have "contractor" lines too, but the premium lines are better as described above and I'd stick with them
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Personally I'd much rather spend one weekend morning painting my bathroom, then the whole weekend and save $10, if you know what I mean....
(But that's a whole $10 dollars!!...)

ha, ha.... anyhow, that's a good way to put in...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote