Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Share |
Question

New Paint chipping and flaking off in bathroom

ok so I was dumb and hired someone cheap. I know get what you paid for. So I had wallpaper in the bathroom that was original to the house. I stripped it and there was a lot of glue left on the walls. I hired someone to deal with it. I orignally told him I wanted it sanded off and the walls primed. He told me it would be easier less expensive and less messy to skim coat over the glue. I trusted his judgement since he did a lot of painting. So the walls were skim coated and primed. I then did beautiful sponge painting that took me 2 days but looked beautiful. Well for about a month : Then the paint started chipping everywhere with the skim coat coming with it. Its now all flaky and popping up in all the area's where the glue was. Best I can tell the moisture from the shower is making it pop up where the glue was or it just didn't bond because of the glue or something but my walls are a crackled flaking mess. Any idea's on the best way to fix this? I'm guessing sand the heck out of it and start all over? Guy who did it is naturally no where to be found

mommiemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #2

By simply skim-coating over the adhesive, he re-activated it. This is likely the root cause of your problem. The process should have gone something like this: Get as much adhesive off the wall as possible whether it be by sanding, rewetting it and scraping it off, whatever process he/you felt comfortable with but get if off. Then clean the walls to remove dust/residual adhesive. Then apply a primer to all the walls...........I would likely use KILZ odorless, but there are many primers that would work. After letting the primer dry, another light sanding/cleaning and the walls would be ready for paint. Also, make sure your bathroom vent is operating properly to remove excess moisture. At this point your options include scraping/removing all that has been done to the walls so far so you can get down to a sound surface or, tear out the walls and put new drywall in.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

I agree with some of the Gshoe's ideas.
The prob is for sure the adhesive that was left. If I had the job- I'd wet sponge it well and see if any of it was loose enough to scrape off with a 3-4" putty knife,rough sand after dry . Then I'd prime it with Zinsser Gardz- which I think does as good a job as an oil prime, but a good oil primer would also work.
I wouldn't use Kilz though. Ain't what it used to be. Cover Stain seems to be the fav oil.
Then it would need a reskim, sand and reprime. Again I would use Gardz.
Then finish coats and if you want to redo your finish. But I'm afraid there is no saving your earlier work.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I agree with some of the Gshoe's ideas.
The prob is for sure the adhesive that was left. If I had the job- I'd wet sponge it well and see if any of it was loose enough to scrape off with a 3-4" putty knife,rough sand after dry . Then I'd prime it with Zinsser Gardz- which I think does as good a job as an oil prime, but a good oil primer would also work.
I wouldn't use Kilz though. Ain't what it used to be. Cover Stain seems to be the fav oil.
Then it would need a reskim, sand and reprime. Again I would use Gardz.
Then finish coats and if you want to redo your finish. But I'm afraid there is no saving your earlier work.
I agree and I appreciate both of you're use of the term terminology( adhesive)
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Phew. at least I didn't blow this one...
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #6

Mommie, sorry to hear of your misfortune. It's a valuable lesson for us all. Hire painters very selectively. This is a little too Freudian, think I'll call you Mara.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Phew. at least I didn't blow this one...
I was thinking the same thing, Brushjockey........if Chris sees me posting "glue" I'm a goner.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I was thinking the same thing, Brushjockey........if Chris sees me posting "glue" I'm a goner.

I'll be watching
Old 07-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #9

Thanks for the responses I realized my beautiful sponge work was a loss I'm just dreading the amount f work I figured would go into fixing this and knowing I paid some idiot so that I could now do all this work really is a tough pill to swallow. I'll remember not to use the word "glue" in the future I promise
Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiemara View Post
Thanks for the responses I realized my beautiful sponge work was a loss I'm just dreading the amount f work I figured would go into fixing this and knowing I paid some idiot so that I could now do all this work really is a tough pill to swallow. I'll remember not to use the word "glue" in the future I promise
Wow, another convert, I think that is 4 now, I am well on the way to changing the world

Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #11

Mommiemara, just as an aside to your original post............just cause someone is "cheap" doesn't necessarily mean they won't do the job correctly. Sometimes painters make estimating mistakes or perhaps they misunderstood the scope of the job, it does happen.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #12

I understand that but I'm guessing because he was cheap is the reason he isn't backing his work and now won't return my calls and is no where to be found. I figure had I done my homework had the same thing happened a good painter would have backed up their work and at least contrubuted to the solution rather than vanish
Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiemara View Post
I understand that but I'm guessing because he was cheap is the reason he isn't backing his work and now won't return my calls and is no where to be found. I figure had I done my homework had the same thing happened a good painter would have backed up their work and at least contrubuted to the solution rather than vanish
True
Old 07-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #14

I like the direction this thread is beginning to turn, and it's an article idea I've been contemplating. The residential paint trade is a real mess, and it's been worsened by the economic downturn. All trades are suffering, but this trade is, imo, taking the worst hit. Painting is the trade with the least barriers to entry. It doesn't require huge outlays for tools/equipment, it has the least government regulation as far as licensing, certifications, code enforcement, etc, and, since painting is something that "anyone" can do, anyone who is willing to paint for you is an acceptable choice, provided the price is right. It thus becomes the next best choice for the massive layed off/unemployed you name its. The actual application of paint is not that difficult, but it's not as easy as the DIY promoters, HD, Lowes, HGTV portray it to be either. However, there are a lot of technical things you need to know about surfaces, prep, finishes, etc. There are millions of DIY's who do acceptable work, just are there are "pros" who would be better placed in another trade. The DIYs who come here with their problems may be able to "apply" the paint properly, but they get hung up on the technical stuff.
Price is not the predictor of skill/competence, but it's important and can be a real red flag. The lowball bidder in a three bid position may be the best guy, just as the highest price may be the worst. Some solos outfits simply pass their low overhead on to the customer, like myself. Some of the larger firms, with huge overhead, and prices, have such a demand for labor that they take bodies, not necessarily experienced painters. Paying a high price doesn't mean you're getting the best work, unless you're lucky enough in the lottery to get the best core crew. Trust me.
The best way to find a painter is word of mouth, from trusted friends, family, contacts, especially those whose taste/eye for quality is firm. And, don't assume a good exterior contractor will do good interior work. I've heard that one too. They're different animals. Craig's list, yellow pages, etc., are a real crapshoot. A cheap ad is a low barrier to entry. Not saying all are, but most will be.
Be informed. You're knowledge is important as well. The more you know about your job, the less likely you'll be sucked in by a hack. Hacks prey on those who know nothing about painting. Do some research. You don't have to know a lot, but some basics. Throw some terms around. Take some pix of your project, print them out and go to a paint store. Ask them to help you understand what that project needs, what is the prep, what special things do you need. Do some googling. Come here and ask question before. I try to educate all my customers about what I'm doing and, more importantly, why I'm doing it. I personally hate an unlevel playing field.
Finally, if you find a guy who does nice work at a nice price, hold onto him. After the second job, stop shopping. Quietly end the paint bidding process. Don't get bids, but don't accept his price on the spot either. Tell him you'll get back to him and call him in a couple of days to accept. He won't know he's not in the bidding process, but that's what he'll think and that should keep him honest.
The whole thing is really sad. I love this trade, was born into it, and have been doing it for most of thirty five years, and I hate to see the tawdry, sleazy state it's fallen into. I've taken the beating over the years for not falling into line and going with the tide, and it's been tough. But, I've stood my ground and I'm the better for it.
BTW, Mommiemara, your guy never came back because he has no ethic, not because he was a low price. There's a difference.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (07-24-2011), chrisn (07-24-2011), mustangmike3789 (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

, and have been doing it for most of thirty five years,

Damn kids, got an answer for everything.