DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New House Paint

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Kennedy 
#1 ·
I'm almost ready to paint...

I'm thinking eggshell paint. My dad thinks I should go with satin. This is a new house that will be for sale (most likely). Is satin too shiny? I don't want to use cheap flat paint that isn't washable. Okay, painters, what do you use? I want to hear what's the best. I'm going to talk to my painter tomorrow after work. He's going to want a decision. (I hate making decisions!)

#3 ·
The majority of the guys like sherwin williams. I'm not sure about the satin. My advice is to consult slickshift here before proceeding. He is a expert. Probably painting rite now. I personally think oil base is the way to go on a exterior. I just think it looks richer if you will. The color pops.

#4 ·
Depends on the brand as to whether they call it satin or eggshell
It's kinda the same thing actually
Either would be good for an exterior, and I would prefer either over a flat for exteriors

Seems I do mostly Ben Moore Soft Glow and Sherwin Williams Duration (satin)

...and it started raining this afternoon, and I was outside today, so I was doing a little carpentry
:zorro:
Thanks for thinking of me 747
:boat: (<<<pretend it's a plane, we got no plane smilies...lol)

#5 ·
Dummy me...

I should have stated the paint is for inside the house. OOPS!

The walls have a "wave" hand texture that is very popular here in the southwest. I worry that satin will be too shiny since the walls are a pretty flat texture overall. (By flat texture I mean, as in not bumpy.) My thought, eggshell will be more washable than flat, but not as shiny as satin paint. My dad likes satin paint because it's very washable. The house is for sale. I think shiny walls won't look as nice to potential buyers.

I myself have not been able to talk to the painter about the eggshell/satin debate. He's out of town until this weekend. I think he's painting some fast food establishments.

I'm going to go ahead and buy Kwal brand paint since my painter prefers it. Painting will start on Monday! Exciting!!!

#8 ·
Depending on the brand, but usually satin is no more "shiny" than Eggshell. Its more silky, rather. You really can't go wrong with either I think. I prefer Satin. As far as cleanability goes, Satin and eggshell are good candidates, but the real difference will come from the quality of the paint. Duration for example from SW is my new favorite! Kwal - never heard of it either.

Slick, :boat: - Just trying to make the jump from this goofy sailboat to a 747 is cracking me up. I'm trying so hard... LOL

#10 ·
Eggshell, satin....pretty close
Some companies call the same thing by one, the other, or both
One's "eggshell" can be a lot shinier than another's "eggshell"...or "satin"
Go by the Kwal sheen chart

Neither satin or eggshell would be any more cleanable than the other really, but they both would be more cleanable than flat

I never heard of Kwal either, but I don't fear local/regional paints
Often they are tailored to the needs of the region and can be as good or better than national brands

I had to go off-site but I found one:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.