Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

Share |

New Home - Textured Walls

Hi!

So my partner and I are buying a new home (new construction) and plan on painting it after we settle but before we move in. Since the walls will be freshly painted white and textured, do we need to prime? Is it worth doing tinted priming for walls we want to do in really bold colors (bright orange[very very tiny section]/deep blue/etc etc)?

Also, in our last home we used 3/8" Purdy WhiteDove rollers. Would those still be the best ones to use with a textured wall?

Finally, I noticed that this forum really likes SW/BM type-paints. We were originally going to go with Behr (although, in our old place, we did notice some brush marks and imperfections with the Behr when looked at in the right light), however, based on everything we have read, are considering doing either BM or SW.

As we will be closing in November, we were leaning towards SW because my Googlefu tells me that they traditionally have one of their 40% off sales in November.

Is BM worth it over SW when they are having their 40% sale? Is there a specific BM/SW paint we should aim for for textured walls? (Should we avoid either satin or eggshell because of the textured walls?)

paladin732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I was a big fan of Ben Moore's paints for interior work and it was my go to brand unless, for whatever reason, the client had a preference for Sherwin Williams as my primary art gallery client did. I never complained. You will do just fine with either brand. Most any painter on this site would tell you it is a coin flip between the two brands.

I don't really know what paint costs retail but I suspect Ben Moore would match anything SW offered. I find it a little strange that SW seems to have reasons for 40 percent off all the time? Why not just drop the sticker price?

I only have had to use BEHRly paint when donating time to work on charity work projects where leftovers were donated. It and its box store counterparts like Valspar are quite awful to work with. Used to good stuff, I struggled.

I would use 3/4 nap roller covers for just about any texture. You did not mention how much texture you have but 3/8 may end up causing you more work than necessary and the nap may not be enough to get down through the texture? Step up at least to 1/2?

I cannot advise on whether you need to prime without knowing more about what you will have. Is your contractor going to blow through the house spray painting crappy two dollar a gallon white over unprimed drywall? Or do it right and spray a primer and a couple coats of white finish?

If making dramatic color changes I would definitely lay down a coat of tinted primer first. Have a real paint store tint the primer to 40-50 percent of the color chip formula you choose. The minimum wage person at a box store will likely have no idea what you are talking about with such a request.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I was a big fan of Ben Moore's paints for interior work and it was my go to brand unless, for whatever reason, the client had a preference for Sherwin Williams as my primary art gallery client did. I never complained. You will do just fine with either brand. Most any painter on this site would tell you it is a coin flip between the two brands.

I don't really know what paint costs retail but I suspect Ben Moore would match anything SW offered. I find it a little strange that SW seems to have reasons for 40 percent off all the time? Why not just drop the sticker price?

I only have had to use BEHRly paint when donating time to work on charity work projects where leftovers were donated. It and its box store counterparts like Valspar are quite awful to work with. Used to good stuff, I struggled.

I would use 3/4 nap roller covers for just about any texture. You did not mention how much texture you have but 3/8 may end up causing you more work than necessary and the nap may not be enough to get down through the texture? Step up at least to 1/2?

I cannot advise on whether you need to prime without knowing more about what you will have. Is your contractor going to blow through the house spray painting crappy two dollar a gallon white over unprimed drywall? Or do it right and spray a primer and a couple coats of white finish?

If making dramatic color changes I would definitely lay down a coat of tinted primer first. Have a real paint store tint the primer to 40-50 percent of the color chip formula you choose. The minimum wage person at a box store will likely have no idea what you are talking about with such a request.
We saw one of the builder's other homes in the complex that looked like they are priming then painting.

As far as BM matching when SW has their sales, I did not even think of that, I should call and ask if they match them. If so, I will most likely go BM then (it seems to get slightly better reviews then SW) (and as for the reason of the sales: my bet is that they profit quite well from them, and by making it sales, they also can get people willing to pay full price)

As far as the texture, I'm pretty sure its this type of texture: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...T1Taq7gxn6lUew . Its not a very deep texturing, its the general type that seems to be the norm in new construction in CA.

If I do need to step upto 1/2 or 3/4 what ones should I be buying? The WhiteDove 3 packs (which are 4 packs at lowes right now) are only availble in 3/8". Buying them single is insanely expensive ($6 or so per roller cover)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post
We saw one of the builder's other homes in the complex that looked like they are priming then painting.

As far as BM matching when SW has their sales, I did not even think of that, I should call and ask if they match them. If so, I will most likely go BM then (it seems to get slightly better reviews then SW) (and as for the reason of the sales: my bet is that they profit quite well from them, and by making it sales, they also can get people willing to pay full price)

As far as the texture, I'm pretty sure its this type of texture: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...T1Taq7gxn6lUew . Its not a very deep texturing, its the general type that seems to be the norm in new construction in CA.

If I do need to step upto 1/2 or 3/4 what ones should I be buying? The WhiteDove 3 packs (which are 4 packs at lowes right now) are only availble in 3/8". Buying them single is insanely expensive ($6 or so per roller cover)
Please stay out of places like Blowe's and Home Desperate for paint and paint supplies. Go to your local real paint store and talk about that you need paint for an entire new house. Ask them what to get in terms of roller covers and how deep they will discount you. Get to know the people. If your Ben Moore people will not match SW offers, buy the SW paint. You will not be disappointed either way by products from them.

They all know they have to compete to survive. I know what I paid for paint and it weren't not never not close to 40 percent off retail so I know a margin exists. Of course I bought trillions of gallons per year and passed the savings on to my clients. Least I could do since they paid me well above going typical rates.

One thing I learned from my years living in NYC. Only idjuts pay retail, or even discounted retail. Be firm. Ask for what you want. PM me if this does not work out especially well for you.

Of course you could just hire one of my brethren to just bring their discounts with them and paint your new house in a spectacular way. I know a guy from this site who admits to having crabs and paints with no pants! How close are you to Maryland? He is also a paper hanger.

Seriously, new house and all must be really exciting and something I suspect you worked to get. Do you really have the energy and time to DIY the painting before all the furniture and floor coverings are in place. Even someone outrageously expensive like I was will have it done for you at closing and move in.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #5

How much does it typically run to have an entire 2000sqft home painted in Silicon Valley area? (http://brookfieldnorcal.com/wp-conte...estbury-4b.png)

We would consider paying someone to have it done, as it is way easier, but it really depends on how much more it would be vs just doing it ourselves.

As far as the supplies, the problem is that for example, the Purdy rollers: SW wanted the same price for 2 of them as Lowes wanted for 4. (Now that gap lowers a lot during their sales, but its still more expensive)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
How much does it typically run to have an entire 2000sqft home painted in Silicon Valley area? (http://brookfieldnorcal.com/wp-conte...estbury-4b.png)

We would consider paying someone to have it done, as it is way easier, but it really depends on how much more it would be vs just doing it ourselves.

As far as the supplies, the problem is that for example, the Purdy rollers: SW wanted the same price for 2 of them as Lowes wanted for 4. (Now that gap lowers a lot during their sales, but its still more expensive)
Wait until sherwin williams has their sale, they just had a 40% two weekends ago, I picked up a few gallons and some rollers. They have 30 and 40% sales about once a month. Go in before hand and talk to them about what you want and need. Primer is almost always excluded from the sales but they have a good primer for 26(?) bucks a gallon. Get a list together of everything you will need including rollers and brushes, then wait for the sale, if you sign up they will email you when the next sale is. I think rollers were 2 for 5 bucks when on sale. I always do one coat of primer and two coats of color, one coat may look pretty good but it always leaves some white spots that you will notice in the future and kick yourself for not doing a second coat. The second coat goes really quick and doesn't use much paint.

Paint is one of those things that most people think of as "paint is paint" and buy behr or whatever box store brand is on sale, which isn't a lot cheaper than sherwin williams when they have a sale. But everyone I have talked to that is used to using behr and I get them to go to sherwin williams(including me) is very glad they did spend the few extra dollars. You just bought a brand new house, good paint is only going to cost a couple hundred dollars extra over behr and you will be so much happier. It covers better with less splatter and will last a lot longer.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

It looks like he(she) is on the other coast.
I travel if the price is right
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Me too and I will wear pants and bring no crabs.

A best friend used to develop and build very nice highend residences in the Bay Area. PM me and I will make the connection. I know he knows who is still doing nice interior work out that way.

My accountant still represents legal Hispanics that painted properties out your way. Including mine. Again, PM me and I will send info on how to connect.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Down boy. One of things that awed me most was seeing what East Coast crabs look liked. I don't think you could handle West Coast crab trapping. They would make you wear pants while painting in California.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #10

I would add on the walls you are going to use the bold color on at the least have your primer tinted. I have seen some bold colors like red and dark blue take 4 or 5 coats to cover over white. And I keep seeing coupons on this website for SW 40 and 50% off maybe print them off and take them to BM and see if they will honor them.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I would add on the walls you are going to use the bold color on at the least have your primer tinted. I have seen some bold colors like red and dark blue take 4 or 5 coats to cover over white. And I keep seeing coupons on this website for SW 40 and 50% off maybe print them off and take them to BM and see if they will honor them.
I know Benjamin Moore will.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I know Benjamin Moore will.
If you are still on this site check your messages
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

To the original poster-
When you check out these paints , realize that they all have different lines of paint with different characteristics and price points. They also don't behave exactly alike in using them.

In BM- I would use Ultra Spec flat or Muresco for ceilings,
"Ben " or Regal Select for walls
and for the hard to cover colors like red, orange and yellow, I would get Aura. Costs more, but will get there in fewer coats. See if the colors you choose are recommended for tinted primers.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #14

Thanks for all the info! We have decided to get Regal and start off with the 3/8 roller. The 3/8 are all cheaper, but we will switch up the 1/2 if we find we need to.

We actually found a BM dealer willing to give us contractor pricing on the paint, which makes it very reasonably priced.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! We have decided to get Regal and start off with the 3/8 roller. The 3/8 are all cheaper, but we will switch up the 1/2 if we find we need to.

We actually found a BM dealer willing to give us contractor pricing on the paint, which makes it very reasonably priced.

Waste of $, even if cheaper.You really need at least a 1/2, time is $ and you will spend twice as much time with the usless 3/8 as you will a 1/2. We who recommend this have been painting (and getting paid) for decades, we know stuff.
Get a quality 1/2 or two, use them for the day, wash em out and use em for a week or more

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote