New Fence Woes - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

New Fence Woes

Hey all,

A while back I rebuilt part of my fenceline using redwood as it matched the other side of my yard. Recently, my neighbor replaced the other part of the fencline but used cedar. So i have a fenceline that is part redwood, part cedar. It doesnt look all that bad but my sprinklers have put some serious water marks on the wood. Is it too late to stain or treat it to get the color uniform. I dont mind the grey of the redwood but I dont like the arcs of water marks. And solid stain just doesnt look good in my opinion.

Any ideas or product recommendations?

Thanks ahead of time.

Mike

Advertisement

mikedbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

New Fence Woes

The only stain choices are solid and semi-transparent. To use semi, you'd need to use a good wood washing, brightening product to bring back a uniform appearance. Depending on how pure your water is, the marks may be permanent.

If you can achieve uniform appearance, a clear coat may seal out the water stains. Keep in mind that even a clear coat will make the wood much darker than it is now. That might work in your favor if there are still water marks after brightening.

Products to use will depend on how you handle the water marks.

Advertisement

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Fence Woes

Sprinklers should not be aimed at structures. Whether a house,shed or fence. I would redo that section of sprinklers before dealing with the fence. Or whatever you do, will be very short lived.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote