Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #1

Share |

New Drywall primer

Please suggest a quality primer for new drywall. Do I need to use anything special with the purple moisture resistant drywall? Thanks in advance. Zinszer Products?

white29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

New Drywall primer

Somewhat depends on your finish- if you're going flat just about anything that calls itself drywall primer.
If you are going to a sheen like eggshell or even a quality matte, Id use a primer/ sealer. Bulls Eye , or Zin 123 are good choices. Kilz products seem to not get a very good review around here.
I know one very experienced contractor that swears by priming new rock with Gardz. You can even add up to 50% of finish paint to it and it still seals well for this purpose.
I've done it, and it works.

Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #3

New Drywall primer

I was looking at Sheetrock Brand First Coat Primer. Anyone use that before?

I am trying to decide between the sheetrock brand or Zin 123 primer.

anyone know the pros/cons between the two?

thanks
jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #4

New Drywall primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
I was looking at Sheetrock Brand First Coat Primer. Anyone use that before?

I am trying to decide between the sheetrock brand or Zin 123 primer.

anyone know the pros/cons between the two?

thanks
JB, I don't think the difference would be worth the time thinking about it honestly. They're both quality brand name companies, unlike Bob's Drywall Primer. For all we know, sheetrock brand could be private label Zin in a sheetrock can. For a super finicky topcoat material, there may be a slight distinction, but I think for general use and as far as workability, they'd be about equal. Someone may come along and tell me I'm nuts, but I'd probably grab what is most convenient, or the cheapest. As to OP's question, I've never been aware of any distinct primer being called for by different grades of rock before. Maybe I have a failure out there somewhere, if that's the case.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

New Drywall primer

Actually there is a world of difference between First Coat and 123.
First coat does nothing to seal, it actually is trying to act like a skim coat for a level 5 finish, so that all the porosity is the same- porous.
123 is a great sealer and will leave a sheen almost like an eggshell. Good enamel holdout, which first coat has none of.

First coat would be ok under a flat- 123 under anything else.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #6

New Drywall primer

There you go, what did I tell you. Some wise guy would come along and set me straight. So basically the sheetrock primer is a traditional straight primer, as opposed to 123 which is a sealer? If it's a skim for level five finish, shouldn't it be called Fourth coat or something like that? Geez, I'm usually sharper with primer/primer-sealer differences.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #7

New Drywall primer

How about for flashing or photographing?

Sorry i know nothing about this. So if I was gonna texture my wall with an orange peel. I should go with the zin 123 right after my final coat of mud?..then texture..then paint?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

New Drywall primer

Oh- you're going to texture..
You have to realize there are parts of the country that do all wall texture, and parts that do none.
I am from the none camp.
After mudding, do you tex guys prime at all? and if so , i would think the first coat would be fine, but what do i know, we don't do that around here..
Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #9

New Drywall primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
How about for flashing or photographing?

Sorry i know nothing about this. So if I was gonna texture my wall with an orange peel. I should go with the zin 123 right after my final coat of mud?..then texture..then paint?

Thanks
The difference between a primer and primer/sealer is basically in the finish they produce. A straight primer will seal the drywall, but it's finish is dry and slightly rough, and it itself is absorbent. It's good to use under a flat finish that has no sheen. A primer sealer results in a smoother, no dry feel, slightly glossy finish, and it itself is sealed, not absorbent. It's more of a skin-like film than primer. It's better to go with this under a sheen finish because it doesn't absorb the sheen out of the topcoat. A sheen topcoat over a flat primer could give you flash issues. I think photographing is more due to the quality of your seams and the final topcoat used, both of which influence shadows. Sheens reflect light and variations on the surface are magnified. In smaller rooms, where you can't get a long view of the ceiling, you shouldn't have a problem. As to which would be best to use under orange peel, I can't say. I live in a region of the country where very little, practically no, textures are used. And when you do find it, it's popcorn. So I have little to no experience working with, repairing, or applying textures. Hopefully, SirMixAlot or Stoner will come along. However, you may be able to get enough out of what I said to apply to your situation. Good Luck.
Joe
Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

New Drywall primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
There you go, what did I tell you. Some wise guy would come along and set me straight. So basically the sheetrock primer is a traditional straight primer, as opposed to 123 which is a sealer? If it's a skim for level five finish, shouldn't it be called Fourth coat or something like that? Geez, I'm usually sharper with primer/primer-sealer differences.

Well,I would have, but brush was quicker
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:43 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

New Drywall primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Somewhat depends on your finish- if you're going flat just about anything that calls itself drywall primer.
If you are going to a sheen like eggshell or even a quality matte, Id use a primer/ sealer. Bulls Eye , or Zin 123 are good choices. Kilz products seem to not get a very good review around here.
I know one very experienced contractor that swears by priming new rock with Gardz. You can even add up to 50% of finish paint to it and it still seals well for this purpose.
I've done it, and it works.

yes it does
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #12

New Drywall primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Well,I would have, but brush was quicker
Wasn't aware the forum had a peanut gallery
Old 08-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #13

New Drywall primer

I was looking up the zinsser 123 to put on fresh drywall. i've read it goes on really thick and some thin it out some. Anyone else do that or heard of the results of doing that?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
Rubbin walls since'79

New Drywall primer

Yes- i almost always loosen it up a bit. Gets better penetration into the rock that way too. Just don't do too much .
Old 08-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #15

New Drywall primer

Brushjockey what do you use to thin out your primer?