Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Drywall

I just had my basement sheet rocked and had the ceiling done in knockdown. Should this be primed along with the walls? I was looking at using Behr primer and they have laytex based drywall primer and sealer or an enamel undercoat primer sealer. Is anyone better than the other?

Thanks

kcdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

New Drywall

Both primers have different uses. For your purposes, regular primer is fine.

Undercoater is used to seal the undersurface in completely. This stops the paint from absorbing. The paint lays on top and takes longer to dry. Used mostly for higher end work and consistent sheens. Undercoater does not promote adhesion as well as regular primer.
Making sure the surfaces are clean and free of dust is important. Regular primer will be fine. Don't use behr paint, especially on the ceiling. Behr paint goes on thick. It typically takes more behr paint to cover the knockdown, and even then, holidays appear more frequently with it.

Use paint from a paint store. Look at the Sherwin-Williams ads for sales. They regurlary have sales on good paint. Look for superpaint or pro-mar 200.
Typically, classic 99 is on sale the most and at the best price. While not junk, it isn't in the same class as Superpaint.

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Drywall

Regular primer
The Behr has a huge failure rate, stick with primer from a real Paint Store, ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pittsburgh

One of the best primers for new drywall is Pittsburgh's Speed Hide Primer Sealer for new drywall...it's very affordable and really good
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

New Drywall

Regular primer
The Behr has a huge failure rate, stick with primer from a real Paint Store, ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pittsburgh

Slickshift has given you good advise ,listen to it,not only for the primer but the finish coats also.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #5

New Drywall

Wow, I didn't know Behr was so disliked or should I say hated. I used Behr several years back on my kids bedrooms and I just used some Valspar in my bedroom. While I did notice that it was a lot more viscous than the SW we used in the rest of the house, it seemed to go on ok. I also thought I remember Comsumer reports rating it pretty high.

I had some other folks tell me I should spray the ceiling and not roll it because some of the knockdown will come off with the roller?
kcdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

New Drywall

Just curious. What is the failure rate of Behr paint?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Pro Painter

New Drywall

Have you ever use a sprayer before? If not, I would recommend that you use roller. It will helps push the paint into knockdown surface better.

knockdown will not come off with the roller.

If you never use sprayer before, you might end up spending more time and money.

Good luck.
TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

New Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Just curious. What is the failure rate of Behr paint?
This is a good question
And not an easy one to answer
I'll post something in the "Commenting on Behr Paints" thread
Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp

New Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdave View Post
I had some other folks tell me I should spray the ceiling and not roll it because some of the knockdown will come off with the roller?
This is not true

I understand where it comes from, but it's not an issue really

Because many houses were built or remodeled during the Reagan era, and it was a common practice to do a minimal tape job on ceilings, and spray up a "popcorn" texture

Unfortunately, often the builders or homeowners thought it looked just fine
being ceiling, it would take a looooong time to get dirty enough to need repainting

If the ceiling wasn't ever painted (or if it had water damage from the backside), then when it was finally painted 10 or 20 years later, the popcorn could be pulled right down
It's pretty rare for this to happen nowadays (most popcorn was coated...or has been in the last 20 years), but is possible (and easy to test)

I've never heard of knockdown being pulled down by a painter....unless there was serious issues with the ceiling/knockdown
Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #10

New Drywall

There is no such thing as "regular" primers there are GP's general purpose primers used mainly for sealing a surface such as new dry wall, or there are stainblocking primers obviously used for yep you guessed it stainblocking and sealing a surface which in my brand are Kilz 2 (water based) and kilz original which is oil based. There are also premium primers which provide you with an extra bump of TIO2 which is an additive to add more hyde capabilities for those deep stains.....but truly with new drywall where stainblocking is not an issue I would reccommend Kilz General Purpose interior which can be bought at really any hw store including Wal-Mart. Tape joints on new drywall are not stains therefore using a stainblocking primer will not help or hurt your project a GP primer is less $$$$ but does the exact job you need done by just sealing your surface so your drywall does not suck in paint.
dcheek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

New Drywall

I was simply differentiating between and undercoater and "other" primers. Whether pva or your beloved kilz2, just something other than an undercoater.

TI02 (titanium dioxide) is NOT a major factor in primers of drywall or knockdown. A pva that you can see through provides just as much blocking power.

Last edited by slickshift; 01-25-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: a little too personal joewho
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote