Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

New deck & old deck mismatch

Hello, I just bought my first home & unfortunately the owner did not care to maintain the decks stain & I guess painted over the crummy looking wood to appeal more to buyers, they replaced the stairs & stained it though. Now, my problem is I have an infant & I can only imagine for the next 10 years I'll be pulling splinters out of his feet every other day. What can I do to make the new & old match without painting it? I'd much rather it be stained & is there anything I can do to make the old stuff not look crummy & is there anything I can do about the old deck & those splinters? All suggestions are better than none, even if it means I won't be staining the decks. Replacing it is not an option at this time, being that it's on all 3 floors & wraps around the home on 2nd floor.

redheadedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Might pull one of the old deck boards and see what the other side of it looks like. If halfway decent and not so dry and splintered, flipping the boards and then trying to stain old and new to blend together would buy you some time.

Sometimes running the deck boards through a planer or sanding them with a belt sander or even an orbital floor sander can get you down below the splintering layer. You almost have to do them all though so you do not create a tripping hazard with board of varying thickness. There is a threshold you can reach where the decking becomes to thin to be safe too. It will not work if they have been severely neglected and are dried all the way through.

Last edited by user1007; 03-26-2012 at 08:07 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #3

Agree on flipping the boards. If you do any sanding use 80 grit. We usually get a few customers who want this done to keep original appearance of wood as to aging at same rate.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

Wow what a great idea. I never thought of this! Thanks for passing on your knowledge. I will let you know what I end up starting this weekend.
redheadedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote