Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #1

Share |
Question

New Construction repaint help

We are in the process of purchasing a house that is under constuction.

The builder gives us the choice of interior paint from 7 different colors. The only problem is that they then want you to go into the flooring store to choose all of your other items; carpet, vinyl, tile, etc...

BUT the flooring store did not have a set of the paint samples.

Longer story made short the paint looks like

The colors we chose at the flooring store are more of the warm, reddisn tan tones and the paint came out looking like the color of masking tape! In fact I put a piece of masking tape up against the wall and they match almost perfectly.

We have ask the builder if we can repaint and are waiting for the answer today (I'm thinking I will need to remind them who is the purchaser here...)

So - here's the question...If we wind up doing this ourselves (depending on what they say the contract painter wants to redo it) what advise can you all give me.

There is no trim or doors up yet so now is the best time...I know we will need to rent an airless sprayer but what about backrolling - someone mentioned this term and I'm not real sure how to do this.

Any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

prstlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #2

I did a search in the painting forum, these are what I thought would apply to you in your question.
Personally if it were me,I would talk to the painting contractor myself and try to cut my own deal.I mean he is going to get paid twice and the repaint will be a much easier task for him IMO. Since I have signed up to this great forum I have found countless/darn near endless information. In the topic section I am in I hit the search bar and type in the sentence, or words I am looking for. This is what I found with the term back roll/rolling. There is a lot more. Good Luck to you.
These are different threads.

roll or spray?

Spray and then roll

Newbie PVA Primering w/Sprayer

Last edited by mark942; 05-12-2008 at 04:44 PM.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prstlk View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a house that is under constuction.
Because you like it. You agree to buy it...

Quote:
The builder gives us the choice of interior paint from 7 different colors. The only problem is that they then want you to go into the flooring store to choose all of your other items; carpet, vinyl, tile, etc...

BUT the flooring store did not have a set of the paint samples.

Longer story made short the paint looks like

The colors we chose at the flooring store are more of the warm, reddisn tan tones and the paint came out looking like the color of masking tape! In fact I put a piece of masking tape up against the wall and they match almost perfectly.

We have ask the builder if we can repaint and are waiting for the answer today (I'm thinking I will need to remind them who is the purchaser here...)
No. You need to be reminded that if you don't like the house, or the paint choices, you shouldn't have agreed to buy the house. You also need to be reminded that just because you're a "customer" that does not make you god. There is a way the builder does business, and there are reasons behind their paint choices, kitchen cabinet and countertop choices, appliance packages, etc... Reasons a homebuyer (from a spec builder) will never comprehend. But part of it is appealing to a buyer if your deal falls through. (Now what to do with your non standard or non appealing chocolate brown entry foyer a puke green bath fixtures? )

Most likely you will not close on this house until it's done and has a C of O. Until then, the cards are still in the builder's hands, and it's still his house. Walls have to be finished for a final, not so much trim... so maybe you can get your samples to the builder for approval, with you paying the difference, or even the entire cost of your choice of paint.

Quote:
So - here's the question...If we wind up doing this ourselves (depending on what they say the contract painter wants to redo it) what advise can you all give me.

There is no trim or doors up yet so now is the best time...I know we will need to rent an airless sprayer but what about backrolling - someone mentioned this term and I'm not real sure how to do this.

Any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote